Sunday, December 14, 2008

Slow and Steady

Not much has changed since the last post. Kristine is progressing well physically. She is able to walk with more confidence and with a slightly longer stride. She is still walking slowly with a cane and still requires someone to spot her in case she loses her balance. Her arm is flaccid and uncomfortable as it continues to separate away from the shoulder. She has been receiving electrical stimulation therapy around the shoulder to encourage the muscle's tone. The grip in her hand is more controlled and she is able, at times, to extend her arm at the elbow.

We are both sleeping better. Kristine has been taking a single sleeping pill before bed which seems to help with her anxiety. She will usually wake up no more than once to change resting positions and again to use the bathroom. Of course, with the extra steps needed to get ready in the morning and to bed at night we are certainly not getting as much rest as we would like.

Friends have been great about helping -- picking Kristine up each weekday from rehab and spending time with her until I get home. Kristine loves to hear other people talk to her about what's going on in their lives and the troubles they have. I think some resist sharing what they believe are trivial details in comparison to what Kristine is going through. But Kristine loves to listen -- it helps her escape from her reality. She avoids talking about her own issues as much as she can.

Emotionally Kristine is struggling a bit. She told me the other day that she is constantly preoccupied with her affliction and the weight that she bears dealing with its consequences. She said that she does all she can just to hold it together without breaking down into tears.

Her anxiety is primarily centered around the choices (or lack of choices) that she has to make in fighting a recurrent cancer. Although the cancer in her brain has been removed or destroyed from the gamma knife radiation, she still has several lung metastases. And, as the days go on, the swelling in Kristine's right neck and shoulder have increased slightly, while she has simultaneously noticed more neck pain. This could be related to the additional load that her right arm has had to take on to compensate for her paralysis. However, we have both been around the block enough to know that this likely the ominous sign of a more sinister force at work. Let's hope that we are wrong this time.

30 comments:

  1. Dear Kristine & Ryan

    I think of you both often, glad to hear the walking has improved.

    Lots of love

    Grazia xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep- hope you're wrong this time... Love you guys.
    Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristine and Ryan. Thanks for the new post, it helps to know how things are going for you both. I am deeply sorry that everything seems to be such a struggle. Please know you are both thought of and many prayers keep coming your way. Kristine, I wish we could talk......I really could use a good therapist once and a while and I know you would be just perfect! All my love, Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Kristine and Ryan,

    Just wanted to spread some Holiday cheer and say way to go! Hard work really does pay off! Please know you are in my thoughts every day and I look forward to seeing you over the Holidays! So proud of you!!!!

    Love,
    Kathy and Ruby! Give Rufus kisses for Ruby xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kristine and Ryan,

    Good to here the progress you are making Kristine. Sorry for taking so long to responed,I've very busy with the boys with school and sports.

    I'll keep you both in my prayers and you keep up the good fight. Just remember when you look back you lose focus on where you are going,when you look forward you stay on the path you wnat to go,so keep looking forward friend God's in control.

    God Bleess you.
    LOVE YA,
    LATNEY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well miracles happen everyday..my sister is giving me her miles!!!!!!I am coming Jan 5th...I can't wait to see you Ryan and Rufus :)
    E C and T

    ReplyDelete
  7. This message is for Rufus: Woof woof woof woof woof woof woof woof woof woof (lick myself) woof woof woof woof woof and woof.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning, Kristine and Ryan!! Sending you my love and prayers. I love your newest picture! I'd guess you both are the most beautiful couple and I'm proud to show you off to my family in New Jersey. Please know that you are truly inspirational to all of us lucky enough to know you. Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kristine,
    I just want to let you know how much you mean to me! You were such a good friend to the "new kid" at Eisenhower. Little did I know I was getting a life-long true friend in you - how lucky am I?! Keep fighting, if anyone has the strength to do it, it's you! My kids and I pray for you every night, they're so happy they met you this summer at Steph's. Merry Christmas, my friend, I love you! xoxoxoxo Missi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Holidays to the both of you...How has everything been going this week..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are things getting better?? Hope there is progress. Thinking of you guys constantly. Merry Christmas!! Love to you both,
    Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good morning Kristine and Ryan. I am sending you my thoughts and prayers from a snow filled Michigan. Wishing you both a Merry Christmas filled with love, faith and new hope for the coming year. All my love, Ann Riffel

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sending you warm wishes from Wisconsin. I really wish we could send you some of this snow as well. Merry Chrstmas! Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Merry Christmas! Love, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kristine............just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you! Love, Ann

    ReplyDelete
  16. P;ease update us soon on the progress of Kristine...we are all pulling for the girl with all the will...Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi guys..............hope that you are hanging in there. Looking forward to an update and want you both to know how much keeping those that love you informed is greatly appreciated. Praying for you everyday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi--
    Just checking in from the Shore. I hope you had the greatest Christmas day, doing exactly what you wanted!! Much love, thinking of you : )

    Now what will you do for NY Eve?
    XOXO
    Kira

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday Ryan!!!!
    He He He

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi all, Has anyone heard an update or is anyone up to speed on current info. Any new news is appreciated ! ! ! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is Kristine's sister, Colette. Kristine has been keeping busy with rehab and spending time with Ryan over the holiday. She spent the holiday with Ryan and friends. I spoke with her on Sunday afternoon and caught up on life. As you know she loves to talk about everyday life. She is currently focusing on the cancer treatment she began in Ecuador and was feeling a bit nauseous when we spoke. I know many of you have been waiting for an update. I certainly don't know all the details with being in Michigan, but I wanted to share what I do know. Thank you for your continued well wishes and support for Kristine and our family. Love, Colette

    ReplyDelete
  22. Colette,

    Thanks for the update. I am wishing you and your family good things in 2009! Warmly, Ann R.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ahhhh, Thank You Colette. I know they are preoccupied with things in their life. It is so good to get even the smallest of news bits. Thank You again for the info, it is received with loving hearts and Prayers of many. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thinking of you both often and wishing you a Happy New Year.
    Dick and Jane

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy New Year Kristine and Ryan. We hope this New Year brings you guys the good things you both deserve. God knows you deserve to have yours and our prayers answered. So, on with 2009 and the great things that will come with the new year !!
    Happy Trails, Bill & Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  26. PS Sorry Rufus,overlooked you. Happy New Year to you too, Buddy.
    Bill & Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you Collette - I know how hard this is for Kristine and Ryan and the whole family. Hoping 2009 will bring good news. Everyone is praying for Kristine and soooo anxious for word on how she is doing - Thank you for the update - Deb W

    ReplyDelete
  28. Colette,

    Just to let you know that I continue to pray for you,your sister and family. Thinking of you all, Terese

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Kristine and Ryan,

    I wanted to wish you and your families a very Happy New Year! 2009 is going to be a GREAT YEAR! I just know it!!! Also, thank you Colette, for keeping all of us in the loop. We do appreciate it!
    Love always,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy New Year!

    Love, Jill

    ReplyDelete