Friday, December 11, 2009

No Stone Unturned

A few months ago Kristine and I both separately hired a medium (one who communicates with spirits) for a phone sitting. We had heard about this women from a friend of Kristine's. Her friend has seen several psychics in the time we have known her, but none whose readings have been so accurate. Typically when people relay what they've been told by a psychic the message usually includes nothing more than ambiguous statements lacking much, if any, specificity. The messages are, in turn, embellished by the recipient to draw his or her own customized and suitable conclusion. This women on the other hand named individual names (i.e., spirits) and gave striking details about them and their relationships with the recipient. She does her readings without ever asking one question accept to validate that her interpretations make sense.

We set up our appointments separately and were careful that the medium could not link the two of us together (for example, I gave her an email address I use infrequently so that she could not Google me and find the blog). We wanted to see if she gave us consistent and unaided messages. Frankly, I admit that I was not at all a believer going into this reading. I was intrigued by the description of our friend's experience, but intrigue is far from faith. It has been my general, and usually unpopular, belief that death is followed by nothing more than our decomposed bodies as fertilizer for the earth. However, what followed certainly changed my mind and reoriented my perspective. It resurrected a hopefulness and comfort in me about our current circumstance no matter the actual outcome.

The medium, true to expectation, described specific spirits in both Kristine's and my reading. She told Kristine that her grandmother on her mother's side was in her presence and proceeded to accurately describe her ailments in the last decade of her life. She told me that my grandmother also on my mother's side was present, that she had died when I was very young and that we were very close and connected in the last years of her life (a signature memory of mine in defining my relationship with her). In one of the most chilling recounts of Kristine's past my grandmother, through the medium, said that exactly 2 years earlier (she was very specific about the timing), "[The doctors] got the dosage wrong." This was chilling because it was exactly 2 years, to the month, prior that Kristine had received her last treatment of chemotherapy. And it was this treatment cycle from which she encountered severe hallucinations due to an elevated dose. The medium went on, for both Kristine and me, to give a combination of accurate statements about our past and present lives and predictions about our futures as expressed by the visiting spirits.

While the readings from our pasts provided the necessary validation of her abilities, we were most interested in hearing about her predictions for Kristine's future health and well-being -- our key purpose in employing her talent. To Kristine's and my guarded exultation the medium made something very clear, Kristine still has more work to here.

The medium continually described Kristine's life after her disease and how she would use her experience from illness to help others. She spoke of Kristine's fear that additional chemotherapy would finish her and explained that her feeling, according to the spirits, was warranted. She envisioned Kristine resolving her disease using a combination of holistic and conventional means. She interestingly sited the primarily factor in her long term recovery to be though nutrition and further sited that her diet going forward would be less restrictive than it had been in the past (again the medium was not made aware of any dietary measures Kristine had taken).

In my session, I pushed harder to uncover a more concrete path for how this implausible outcome would play out. And although I did not get an exact answer I did get some leads with which to work. The medium told me that Kristine would see a nutritionist who would play a crucial role in her recovery and help her to form a long term pattern of health. She also described Kristine's cancer as being very unique and explained that her recover will be equally as unique.

This is a long set up for the present -- the genesis of a new chapter of trusting life and following our instincts even if it means disobeying logic and naively disregarding what seems inevitable. I attempted to expedite our prescribed fate and sought out a local nutritionist. (Of course, it's unclear whether this was actually a manipulation of fate or just a tangential path ultimately leading to the same predetermined outcome.)

We saw the nutritionist for several weeks before she sent us an email regarding an alternative medical center. It was one that I had heard of before from a few other sources but ignored due to its location in Mexico (a common migration point for homeopathic doctors driven out of the US by the FDA). Her colleague successfully beat his cancer following the center's program. Doing subsequent research on the web I ran across a list of people who had eliminated their cancers through a variety of different naturopathic methods and had volunteered to be contacted. Fortuitously the only sarcoma survivor on the list had had leiomyosarcoma (the same subtype as Kristine) and had attended the same center that our nutritionist had recommended.

Well, this was too strong of a coincidence to ignore. I called the man to confirm and learn more about his story. Prior to going to the center his cancer had spread to his pancreas, lungs and liver. He was 39 when diagnosed and had several surgeries to remove malignant masses. He told me that within 4 months on the center's treatment his check up scans showed stable disease, within 6 months his tumors started to reduce in size and within a year all of his tumors were completely undetectable. His oncologist told him that he didn't want to know what he was doing but whatever it was to keep it up. He shared a number of stories with me about people he had met through his yearly check up visits to the center who had similar experiences.

At the man's suggestion I called the homeopathic doctor at the facility. He told me that based on Kristine's advanced stage and type of cancer the chances of the treatment's success were certainly reduced but that it depended on the individual. Typically they like to evaluate the patient in person, but he felt it best that Kristine not make the trip in her current state of health. So instead I made the trip and discuss the treatment on her behalf. In just two weeks I organized my travel plans and headed to meet with a homeopathic doctor in Mexico. Kristine's mother and sister flew in for a short time to help Kristine while I was away.

In the last few weeks Kristine's condition has deteriorated at a faster pace. She is unable to attend physical therapy any longer, she now relies on Oxygen almost constantly to prevent labored breathing, new tumors continue to spring up daily in random locations throughout her body and she seldom finds relief from the pain caused by the tumors on her head, shoulder, back and abdomen. She will receive Cyberknife radiation on her shoulder (in hopes that it will improve her range of motion which currently restricts her from even feeding herself) and a large tumor under her left breast (which has burst open recently causing an exposed wound). The only other conventional options are in trial phases, which Kristine does not qualify for in her condition (including Pazopanib and Yondelis as recommended by some of the blog's readers, thank you by the way) or are not currently open to new patience (Rexin-g). So unless one of these drugs is fast tracked due to an overwhelming success in trial none are viable options.

I've hesitated to be candid about this chapter in Kristine's cancer fight. I realize that some of the unorthodox tactics we have pursued inevitably bring intense skepticism and judgement. (Even though it's not as if we have ignored conventional tactics entirely.) But as I sat alone in a hotel room 3000 miles away from Kristine over the weekend, my solitude compelled me to share this current phase of an unrelenting quest to save her life no matter how crazy it might seem. In a way, this part of our story speaks to the desperation we face to find hope under any stone that has yet to be turned, not wanting to look back with regret. To walk away from a belief that anything is possible is walking away from the wonders of a miraculous universe that displays its powers in unusual ways. You can call it God or energy or chaos. You can accept or deny that we have a hand in the outcomes it prescribes. But you can't deny its existence. For Kristine and me this means putting our faith in the fight and not going down settling for what seems to be an inevitable fall. As Neil Young said in the song Out of the Blue, "it's better to burn out than to fade away." We will fight on and keep trusting our instincts knowing that our pursuit, hope and faith never faded.

20 comments:

  1. Ryan, your words are so moving, articulate and poetic. I have goosebumps and am inspired to hear that 'Kristine's cancer is unique and her recovery is going to be unique.' I believe in her recovery with all of my being.

    Love you guys.
    Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan, please don't feel judged by anyone, the fight the two of you are in is incredible and I'm sure many people would have given up long ago. I am proud to know both of you and respect all outlets that you pursue. It is our hope and prayer that Krisine will recover from this, despite the deterioration. I do pray that the two of you will include the Lord in your life, it is never too late to accept Jesus in your heart. We love Kristine and pray for peace and less pain everyday. Take care of yourself the best you can. The Kelly's

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan and Kristine.Along time ago I had a very unique experience.First I will tell you that I am an old friend of yours Kristine. Some years ago I found my self in a very desperate situation.You see I was at work when the man that I have worked with for the past 7 years had a terrible accident. With out going into the all the details of how it happend Eric ended up pinned between a high-low and a truck. Now for the 7 years I worked with him I found out every thing about him, his life before comming to work with us, what he went thru back in 1991,1992,1993,1994. He was a Marine in the Middle East Conflicts so right away we clicked. We both talked to each other about our past experiences. What I found out about him was he had never,how do you say, found Jesus. I call myself a Christian but I don't go to church. I always seem to be busy. It was a Monday when it happend. Eric got between a moving high-low and the back of a big low-ride truck. From the waste down he was pinned. He ended up on his back and there we were. I got on the back of the truck with him and set down. I had thought he just had his leg broken or something,but as I sat with him for about 1 min. he just closed his eyes. I tried to get him up but he would not respond. Then I looked down at his abdomen and he was bleeding thru his shirt. I have seen men die before but this was different. This is at work this is not suppose to happen. He still had a pulse and he was breathing so I did not move him. While we waited for help I started to think about all the times we would talked about what god has ment to me in the past when times got tough. Eric would always tell me "the only faith he needs is his faith in him self and his ability to get the job done." As I looked at him just laying there a warm feeling came over me and I remembered what I hoped some one would do for me if I were in Erics situation. I took his hand in mine and it just came out." The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures. He leadeth me beside the still waters. He RESTORETH my soul. He leadeth me in the path of righteousness for his name sake. Yey Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for you are with me. Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. You prepar the table before me in the presence of my enemies. You annoiteth my head with oil. My cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the LORD FOR EVER." As I said these words I felt Eric squees my hand tears were running down his left cheek. Now I don't know if it was the fact that I was sitting with him that gave him comfort or if the word of the prayer finally gave him the faith and piece he needed but less than a minute later he was gone. I am not telling you to give up the fight. never give up. But one more gun in your fox hole(the Lord)fighting by your side can't be bad. I hope this blog does not come across as preachy but that day at work changed me forever, I hope it give you something to think about if you do look to God for help and piece. I think about you all the time. God bless

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let no one judge you until they walk a mile in your shoes! You try whatever it takes!
    Good luck on this phase and all phases of your journey to wellness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ryan,
    What a beautiful post. You both are so inspiring and I think no one judges you for giving this everything you've got. I pray that this new information will bring the good news we are all waiting to read about. And that Kristine's story of recovery is one we will be telling over and over.
    Danielle Dobar

    ReplyDelete
  6. If unconventional methods help you to find peace in your hearts, and perhaps a new path that will lead Kristine back to good health...well, as you say, then there will be no regrets. Wishing much love and sending continued prayers each day.
    Be well,
    Kira

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and Kristine are absolutely remarkable. I hope everyone reading your blog looks at their family, friends, loved ones, significant others, wives, husbands and kids in a different way. You two are a true inspiration and are the true meaning of love. Keep fighting! Jen DeVoll

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hurray for you Ryan and your relentless desire to help your lovely Kristine!! i applaud you and Kristine and admire your tenacity, open-mindedness and belief that anything is possible because guess what - it absolutely is! thank you so much for sharing, i really loved reading this post and i'm encouraged and impressed with what you are doing. my prayers are with you both and i thank you for your inspiration and sharing your beautiful story. please send my love to Kristine.
    Kimberly, Mill Valley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Despite what some might say or believe, miracles do happen in this world and God is good. Follow your hearts and, as you say, leave no stone unturned. May God guide you as you search and continue this fight. Your bravery and dedication are inspirational to all of us who are lucky enough to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When all is said in done, the only thing that really is of value in this life is love. The fact that Kristine has someone who loves her so much that he is willing to try anything, go to the ends of the earth for her, and never give up makes her truly, truly blessed. What an inspiration you both are. I am praying for you..
    Elizabeth Trout

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know I too would seek out every lead from any source that would help me believe in hope. That all of this bullshit, pain and anguish will lead to a brighter healthy future. Im not sure why I think this but I feel Kristine's work on this earth isn't finished. Wendy Antell

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for continuing to share your story. You are both such an inspiration and constantly remind us by example of the power of love and faith. Looking forward to the day positive results from your various treatments are posted! Keep the faith ~ Ann Riffel

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to wish you guys a Merry Christmas. With all our love and thoughts, Mark & Angela Karp

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kristine & Ryan,

    We want to wish you both a Happy Holiday. Trust life, you know the path is long and wicked, but you two will find the way. Big love to you both.

    Hugs and Kisses,
    Beth & Mike

    ReplyDelete
  15. Merry Christmas Kristine and Ryan.

    Michele Wolfe

    ReplyDelete
  16. True faith, no matter where or what it comes from, can never be judged. The undying faith you have between the two of you is monumental and inspiring with a strength and power that will never, ever fade away. Merry Christmas to you both. I am honored and humbled, through this blog, to be able be a small part of this incredible journey with you and the many other remarkable people who care.
    Thank you for that.
    Big love, cousin Audy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Kristine,
    I am thinking of you this Christmas night--hoping you are pain free and have had a good day.

    I wish you all of lifes blessings-- we continue to pray for you every day.

    Merry Christmas to you and Ryan,
    Love,
    Angie Meloche and family

    ReplyDelete
  18. Peace to you....Big Love Forever friend
    Beth & Mike

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope you don't mind me asking but what is the name of this alternative treatment center in Mexico? You can send your response to my email account at richards_matt@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete