Tuesday, December 4, 2007

One day at a time

So much has been happening in the last couple weeks I am not even sure where to start. My biggest news is that last Wednesday I got my port removed from my right hip. I had a lot of mixed feelings about having it removed. It is weird to want to keep something foreign in your body but at this point it had healed over and it didn't give me any pain. The scary part about cancer is that once you have had it, in the back of your mind, you are always going to wonder if it is going to come back or not. The bad part of keeping the port is that you have to have it accessed every six weeks to make sure it has not clotted over....not fun. Also, the fact that no one could really access it easily was always a problem. So with that being said I decided to go for it and have it removed. I have to tell you I was very stressed out about the procedure. When it was put in back in February it was a very painful experience. This is an out patient surgery so they pretty much numb the spot with Novocain and go to work. During the surgery I could feel them shoving the tubing under my skin and I was not a happy camper. It hurt like hell and I was shaking and crying on the table. So you can only imagine how I felt walking back in there to have it removed. Well, I won't drag this out and I will just tell you that it was another classic case of worrying about things before they even happen. The surgery went really well and there was minimal pain. I could feel them stitching me up but it felt like nothing more then maybe a prick to your finger with a needle. I do have some bruising and an incision about two inches. Some of my pants cut right through the area but other then that it was a cake walk in my world of hospital visits. I want to tell you more about radiation but I will save that for next time. Kristine

4 comments:

  1. I love your voice. Keep the blog rolling I feel very connected to you and what is going on when I read it so thank you so much for doing it (You & Ryan).
    You know we live pretty close to each other....any time you want to come out to the rock I have guest room going and a wood stove & we get that thing cookin so you'll be nice & toasty. I have never been to Philly so after your trip to Texas maybe J and I could come for a visit. I miss you guys and I haven't seen you sense our wedding and that is just dumb. :) Love you!! Love you both!! xoxo Mallary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Kristine - Glad to hear that you are feeling better and you are rid of your port. We think of your often and you and your family are in our prayers. I hope you have a wonderful Holiday Season, and that you can spend it with your loving family - What a Christmas Gift to be done with Chemo and Radiation..., that is something to be thankful for. Deb and Brent W

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aunt Teen!! We love you!
    Love, Kate and Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey baby.
    You rock the Casbah. Loved talking with you tonight and since I sent out my mass raw email, I have already received more donations. Pack yo' bags, baybay, you going to Florida!!
    All the kisses I have in me,
    Love,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete