Friday, December 21, 2007

RADIOACTIVE BABY!

I have been waiting to write about my radiation. Thinking that at any moment something dramatic was going to occur and I would have interesting information to pass along. That is not going to happen. I finished 37 rounds of radiation on Wednesday. All I have to show for it is large burnt circles on the front of my chest and on my back. This is where the beams hit my skin.

When I had my first visit with the radiologist he told me a number of side effects that could happen. From nausea, fatigue, painful skin burns, and a burnt esophagus (which would have made eating impossible) all the way to a small chance of being paralyzed because they were radiating my spine. Could you imagine coming this far and then end up paralyzed? After he had his meeting with me I overheard him say to the nurse, "yes, 37 times but let's see how much she can take." I figured I had a rough road ahead.

There were days that I was tired and stayed on the coach the whole day. One Friday night at 3 a.m. I woke with a terrible sore throat and thought, "here we go with the burnt esophagus," only to have it subside 2 days later. So, as of now I am finished with treatment. I have received several phone calls from friends and family congratulating me on ending this long journey. However, to me it feels a bit like a being a baby bird thrown from its nest. The question being, will I fly? Now we just sit back and wait for the next scan in February (ironically, almost exactly one year from the first day I landed in Aspen Valley Hospital) and hope that there is nothing new to report. I do have many other things to share with you so stay posted.

I hope everyone has a great holiday with their families. I am spending this Christmas with Ryan and Ruffus at home. We don't exchange gifts because we already have so much. So this Christmas we are just happy to feel healthy and feel very lucky that we have each other.

Sending big love,
Kristine

4 comments:

  1. Wow- 37. Congrats that it's OVER!. I love the baby bird analogy. I have a magnet on my fridge that says, "Faith is believing that one of two things will happen, that there will be something solid for you to stand on- or that you will be taught to fly." I think this is just the beginning for you, baby bird. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kris, LIke I said before, it was like an early Christmas gift to have you up on the blog. With Xmas fast approaching, the news of the radiation completion is an added gift to the occasion. Your inspiration and continued recovery are the body of the star on our tree this year. It seems to have a special glow about it, similar to the glow you always had !!

    You know that slogan "It's all about me". Well GIRL, truely this year it's been all about you. Soo many thoughts and prayers have gone your way. A lot of Love in 2007. So as we are celebrating the birth of Christ, and the rebirth of your health, we say thank you. Thank You God for bestowing upon us, your blessing and on one of your children in particular. !!

    Merry Christmas Kristine and to Ryan and Ruff too !!

    Lotsa Love, Bill, Vicki and the Zoo Crew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas!
    Have a wonderful time at home. We will be home in NC too thinking of you...
    Love you!
    O'Donnell's

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right the best present is your health - I think your scan being in Feb at the same day that you were in Aspen is going to be a sign of good things!
    Keep up the great spirits and it is great to read things in your own words that are positive!

    Lots of Love

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete