Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Fast, Faster, Fastest

Mentally preparing for my upcoming scans made me start to think about everything or anything I could do to help get positive results. On top of my extreme diet there are other ways to help my body heal itself. One of those ways would be fasting. I have yet to try a fast for a number of reasons. First of all I didn't want to lose any more weight. The other reason is that you should stay pretty mellow during your fast and I always have way too many plans. The last reason and probably the most difficult reason is the no eating any food thing. I just didn't think I would make it through even one day without eating. With all of this on my mind I knew in my heart that I had to try everything to get rid of this pesky cough and heal my body. So, I put aside three days on my calender and made no plans but to sit around and watch funny movies, read books and talk on the phone. For 72 hours I would eat nothing. I would nourish myself with green juice made from cucumber, celery, Kale, broccoli and sprouts. Of course I also had my wheat grass shots.

The day before I started I went to pick up my wheat grass from Loretta. She has been living the raw lifestyle for many years and has also attended Hippocrates several times. I told her that I was going to start a fast and I must have sounded unhappy about it because she told me that I needed to be excited about the fast and to remember the good it would do my body. She told me to celebrate the three days and to enjoy not having to worry about food. I loved that exchange and I immediately changed my attitude. I embraced the idea and I started to look forward to how I would feel.

Before I go any further I just want to quickly explain to those of you that don't understand why a fast is important. I like to explain it as a spring cleaning for the body. When your body doesn't have to digest food it is left with lots of energy to heal and to clean out unwanted cells. It also helps to clean out the bowels where people can have several pounds of sledge compacted in their bowels. (I know too much information right?) I remember years ago in San Francisco when friends of mine would do cleanses or fasts and I thought they were totally nuts. Now I can't help thinking if I would have given my body a chance to cleanse itself maybe I wouldn't be in this predicament.

So I started the fast on a Wednesday and day one went pretty smoothly. I drank lots of green juice and never really felt too hungry. I woke up day two with lots of energy and felt great. I kept thinking that I was going to feel weak so when friends called to go shopping or hang out I declined and stayed put on the couch. By day three I was amazed that I was not really hungry and I still had tons of energy. I finally agreed to go out and run around with one of my friends --I could not sit on the couch for another minute. My fast was to end at 7pm Friday night and Ryan and I had plans to eat together. (I made him eat all of his meals outside the house so I wouldn't be tempted.) By the time dinnertime arrived I had serious thoughts of continuing my fast. I wasn't really hungry at all. I definitely felt like I could have gone for another day or two. The only draw back for me was that I did lose 6 pounds. I didn't want to lose any more weight so I decided to stick with the plan and start eating again.

The fast was a great experience and I definitely think I would do another at some point. Hopefully the small break I gave my body will bring good news on Thursday. I, of course, will keep you posted.

Kristine

2 comments:

  1. Mom and you are sort of doing the same thing she is on TPN and she is not able to eat anything by mouth for the next 90 days no water no food - so we are working with the hospital to get her in a Convelesant Center for 30 days as she works through this
    Life has been so crazy

    Take Care

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- cool. So scans were yesterday? I hope there was good news. Doesn't a fast make you feel kind of high on life? I hope you are well, my dear....
    hugs, Leigh

    ReplyDelete