Monday, March 19, 2007

3/19 - Day 1 of Chemotherapy

Today was the first day of Kristine's chemotherapy. The day began at 9 and we left the cancer center at around 4. Kristine did really well and was feeling no pain by the end of the day. She received two drugs during her treatment, Adriamycin and Ifex, along with lots of hydration fluids and anti-nausea medication.

Returning home we met with our home care nurse. She walked Kristine’s mom and I through the steps needed to administer the post-chemo drug (Mesna) and hydration fluids. The whole kit was comprised of 3 large boxes of equipment and an IV pole and monitor. The whole experience was a bit overwhelming. The drugs and fluids are delivered intravenously through a “port” on Kristine’s hip and everything needs to be sterilized and carefully handled. Just call me “Nurse Ryan.”

She’ll receive similar drugs and treatment for the first cycle of her chemo which will last for a total of 4 days. She’ll then have 2 weeks “off” before her second cycle begins – repeating the whole process over again.

The first week of the cycle consists of daily chemotherapy. She’ll be relatively weak but still functioning. The second week she will find herself in her weakest state. Her blood cell count, and in turn her immune system, will be at its lowest point putting her at a higher risk of infection. The third week will be her best. There are no treatments during this period just time to reenergize for the next cycle of chemo.

Kristine is scheduled for three cycles of treatment lasting a total of 9 weeks. She'll then be evaluated to see how well the chemo worked. Either surgery or more chemo could follow.

We got some good news. The new CT scan taken on Thursday of last week showed that the tumors had not progressed much from the previous scan over a month ago. This was an encouraging sign that the cancer is not as aggressive as we feared.

Thanks for all the feedback on the site. I will incorporate some of your suggestions.

15 comments:

  1. Dear friends & family of Kristine,

    Please sign this petition to declare every April 26th as National Leiomyosarcoma Day.

    http://www.petitiononline.com/NLMSDay/petition.html

    Pass it on....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Kristine and Ryan, Just a note to let you know that even though we are miles apart, I am with you in spirit. Keep the faith. Love, Kelly Bloom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristine, Karin and I are thinking of you and all the generosity you showed us in the past. Hang in there kid, we are all in this together (apologies to Red Green)


    Karin and Bob Andrews

    ReplyDelete
  4. HELLO AGAIN KRISTINE,HOPEING FOR THE BEST FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. TOM AND MARY VASOLD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kristine,
    I have many great memories of your family and you are a big part of them. I have always admired your free spirit and can-do attitude-- draw from that now and stay strong. Know that you are in our thoughts every day. Take care, lots of love,
    Angie(Fender),Don,Noah,and Ava Meloche
    Hi to your mom, dad and Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kristine,

    I hate that this is the reason that I finally contact you after all these years, but seeing your face brought a smile to mine, and thoughts of TONS of good times together! My thoughts will be with you every day. Come back to Michigan this summer and we will add to our memories!

    Mollie Redmond

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Kristine & Ryan:
    There are many of us our here with leiomyosarcoma and we are here to help. We know exactly what you're going through and you have all our thoughts and prayers with you. You'll become very familiar with the two leiomyosarcoma group lists. I think you'll recognize them as a classroom, a lifeline and the most caring people in the world. Remember, you're not alone on this overwhelming jouney. Take very good care of each other.
    Hugs,
    Patti Lloyd
    lloyd.8@charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristine, I wish you a very speedy recovery. Stay strong.

    Aaron Mikoleizik

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kristine,

    I just want you to know I will be thinking of you and you will be in my prayers. I haven't seen you in awhile, but I've always known you as a very strong and happy person. Stay strong and positive. If anyone can beat this, it is you.

    Nikki Bono (LaFountaine)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kristine,
    I still picture you (in awe) in your cheerleading outfit in your kitchen practicing cheers or in trendy Au Cotton garb (which you had even given me outfits!). You are seriously THE COOLEST big sister, and an inspiration to all of us. (Seriously- cheerleading, Nantucket, big hair- we all idolized you!) You are strong, determined, and have all of our support.
    I want you to know that I am thinking of you, and will do anything on my part, Pfizer's end, and I have family and friends that have made it through this (like you will). They are eager to lend an ear if you need advice.
    You are not alone, Kristine, and I love you like my own sister.

    XOX,
    Moses, Action Jackson, etc..
    Jackie Kerns
    PS: Sorry for all of the outfits that Colette borrowed and wore when I made her laugh too hard :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Kristine and Ryan,

    Our thoughts and prayers are with you both. Thank you Ryan for keeping us all updated. It is great to know that you are in the hands of such capable "nurses".

    All our best wishes,

    Love Jan and Janice

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Kristine and Ryan,


    "Stine"--My thoughts and prayers are with you daily. Keep the spirit cousin!!


    Jason Becker.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kristine and Ryan,
    WE LOVE YOU BOTH SO MUCH. YOU ARE BOTH AMAZING PEOPLE WHO INSPIRE OTHERS SO MUCH AND THIS LATEST JOURNEY WILL DO THE SAME. NEVER WILL EITHER OF YOU LEAVE OUR THOUGHTS.
    ALWAYS AND FOREVER, SEANEEN AND BOB

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Kristine,

    I'm reading through some of these posts from high school classmates and other friends and I learned some new things.

    You were a cheerleader and had big hair? I must have missed that.

    You drink beer? I must have missed that too.

    I suppose you're going to tell me you were part of the preps too.

    Anyways... I join the rest of your friends and family and sincerely wish you the absolute best and offer my prayers and support during this challenge.

    OK, so it's not the Magna Carta but hey, what do you expect? Ancient Filipino wisdom? At least it's not Dostoevsky.

    Laugh or I'll bite your butt.

    Jimmy Schultz (Schultz) and Clan
    jim@cjschultz.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish I could ride my BMX bike over and say hi. All the best to you, Redheaded Todd Livingston brother of Brec,k son of Jan Waidelich, and Mooner of neighborhood girls.

    ReplyDelete