Saturday, March 24, 2007

3/22-3/24: Day 4, 5 & 6, Cycle 1: Chemo, ER and ICU

We’ve had a busy couple of days pass. I myself was able to catch up on some sleep Thursday night only to deplete my reserved shut eye the following day with an all-nighter in the ER... I’ll get to that in a minute.

I recently received some advice from someone about living with cancer and treatment. It was never so real and true as it became these past few days. I was attempting to plan a time we could meet and catch up. He stopped me from thinking of a good time to meet. A man who lost his first wife to cancer and whose second wife is in recent remission from a brain tumor, he said, “Ryan, don’t worry about this. You’re going to be living day to day. There will always be some new surprise popping up that you didn't anticipate.”


Well surprises have certainly popped up lately.

On Thursday (Kristine’s final day of chemotherapy) we had just about finished in the cancer center. Kristine had dropped about 4lbs of the fluid she was retaining, which made the center's staff more comfortable with her condition. She started to feel a sudden shortness of breath and increasing pressure on her chest. We notified our oncology nurse and a wave of 5 other nurses rushed into check Kristine’s vital signs. Her “pulse-ox” reading (the percentage calculation of oxygen levels in the blood) had fallen into the 80s when it should be greater than 90%. The nurses administered oxygen and monitored her for a little while.

Dr. Staddon discussed the situation with us after Kristine’s oxygen levels had stabilized. There was discussion among the nursing staff of taking precaution and admitting her to the hospital. However, Dr. Staddon felt that Kristine quick recovery was a good sign and that she would be better off in a familiar comfortable surrounding at home. He felt that the risk of increased exposure to hospital grade infections outweighed the benefits of close observation. (Remember that chemotherapy lowers the white blood cell count – the basic structure of the immune system that helps fight infection and disease – thus increasing the chance of potentially dangerous infection).

The remainder of Thursday was fine. Kristine, her mom, her dad and I all got a decent night’s sleep. On Friday, Kristine’s good friend J.J. arrived from Chicago for a weekend visit. Kristine was feeling restless and anxious that morning. She was more lucid and aware without the stream of new medication she had been receiving the previous few days. But her awareness left her feeling more discomfort. She had trouble catching her breath and maintaining an adequate resting position. The shortness of breath seemed to worsen as the day continued. She complained of increasing pressure in her chest despite having lost a few more pounds of fluid. Around 9:00pm the chest pressure had become more uncomfortable and her temperature had increased to around 99.7 (we were warned that 100.5 was the tipping point where we needed to seek medical attention). The on call oncology physician wanted to be conservative and recommended that we bring her into the ER for a careful inspection. She underwent a new CT scan and EKG. After several hours the attending physician spoke to us about the medical team’s concerns. When compared to the CT scan from 7 days prior, the new scan revealed 2 additional clots in the vein where the original clot developed.


It's not yet clear whether these are newly formed clots resulting from tumor compression of the vein or embolus—fragments of clot that have broken off and traveled through the blood. The primary concern at this point is pulmonary embolism. This is where a fragment of the clot, or embolus, travels to the lung and blocks oxygenation of the blood. The doctors addressed this concern by adjusting the blood thinning medication that Kristine had been taking. At around 4:00am on Saturday morning Kristine was admited to the intensive care unit (ICU) for close observation until at least Monday. At which time we will review recommendations and next steps with our oncology team. Oh, and by the way, in case you thought that you read the above times incorrectly you didn't. Thanks to hospital and insurance beuracracy we were in the ER from 10pm-4am or 6hrs.

As for today (Saturday), Kristine is in excellent spirits. She’s the most alert she has been all week. She is very weak from the chemo, but hopefully that means it’s doing its job. So until Monday, it’s rest for Kristine’s weary support team and milkshakes and smoothies on demand for our brave fighter.

Ryan

17 comments:

  1. You two are amazing!
    Kristine - I'm constantly in awe of how strong and positive you have been these past few weeks. Honestly, I've complained more about a hangnail (true dat!).
    Ryan - Thanks so much for keeping us in the loop. Were Mike in your position he'd use it as an excuse to not even answer the phone (unless the pizza deliveryman was calling).
    Lots of love,
    Windy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristine and Ryan,
    Having this website is a wonderful way to keep us all updated. You are doing a great job with explaining the whole process and the medical terminology. I know Kristine has a very strong will which is one of the best attributes for fighting this. The whole Norek family has you in our prayers. Keep up the great support work "Nurse Ryan". Kristine keep shrinking down that tumor.
    Mary(Tom's sister) and Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. kristine
    Boppa loves you
    I am praying for you every moment of every day. Be strong and I will see you soon , Be a strong women
    See you soon
    God bless

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristine

    Just a quick note to tell you that I am with you every step of the way.

    Love, Grandma Bloom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristine and Ryan, Everywhere I go I meet people who I tell Kristine's story to, they give back to me a story of their own one of hope and of promise, then these perfect strangers give me a hug to give to you both and ask for kristine name and tell me that they will pray for her, I even had one person who over heard my conversation and said, as they passed by I will pray for her too!! There is a lot of good and love still in this world, and now I am going direct that love and all the prayers towards Kristine. Heres to our little fighter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kristine and all, We know the Becker cousins are not all that close but please know that we are keeping all of you in our prayers. Knowing how stubborn the Beckers can be we are keeping positive thoughts that Kristine is just too darn stubborn to let this beat her. Thanks so much for keeping the blog, love to Jimmy and Connie also. Brian and Betsy Becker

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristine,

    I just got into your website,as I read through Ryan's notes tears came running from my eye's(That's just me)Kristine you are the strongest and most determined Lady I ever meet. ( P.S. I forgot to say Hotest also) Keep fighting and You will Win. Dad,please give Kristine and Mom a Big Hug for me. Ryan thanks for your updates

    Love
    Fire & Marica

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristine, and Ryan,

    We are praying for both of you. Please let us know if you need anything.

    Neil and Mark

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristine,
    Shannon Doyle called me today to let me know of your condition. I am so saddened that you have to go through this. Thanks to Ryan for posting your updates, it helps me feel closer to you even though I'm far away. Continue your fight... if anyone's got the strength to overcome this it's you!!!

    Tons of love, prayers and thoughts from Missi (Hendrickson) Wiaduck

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kristine and Ryan,
    I trust that you are getting the very best care, and will find the strength to carry you through this difficult treatment process. I will pray that you both are able to find moments of peace while on this rollercoaster. And as for you, darling Kristine, your generous heart and warmth of spirit will be in my thoughts daily.
    With love,
    Kira

    ReplyDelete
  11. kristine and ryan - we are sending lots of positive energy and prayers your way! ryan, thank you for keeping us informed about everything going on. and kristine, get WELL soon!!! we miss you so much and our social life has taken a major nosedive without you. love you both!! jeanna and rusty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kristine and Ryan,

    Ryan, thank you so much for keeping all of us up to date with Kristine's prognosis. It really means a lot to me......you have no idea!!!

    Both of you are so stong, that you'll fight your way threw this terrible illness. And, love is the tie that binds, truly.

    You're in my thoughts and prayers every day. Know if you need anything, I'm right up the street.

    Lots of love, hugs and kisses,
    Kathy and Ruby :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ryan and Kristine
    Living Day by Day is the only way and we are lucky that really has been Kristine's theme of her life so she is one person who can continue to make things happen day by day! Kristine keep up the strength that has always amazed us all. Kristine your positive strength has always been a force to be reckoned with it! We are here for you you are stronger than you think and you are not alone!
    Lots of Love
    Barbara & Mom
    Ryan -thanks so much for the info and take care of yourself during this time

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ryan and Kristine,
    I am thinking of you guys and praying for you. I am a veteran of Dr Staddon's excellent care (Ewing Sarcoma after 10 months of chemo and 6 weeks of radiation about 7 years ago). He is amazing and I am glad you are in such good hands. Please don't hesitate to call with any questions or if I could be of any help. Thinking of you, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kristine and Ryan, I was so sorry to learn about Kristine's illness. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you fight on.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kristine,
    As I am reading through the blogs, I noticed a theme....how much everyone loves you and how much they believe you are going to beat this. There is no doubt you have the strength of spirit. Please let me know if you need anything at all. My prayers and thoughts are with you. I can be your milkshake go-to girl. Just give a call anytime you get a hankering for one. I will be there in a hurry!!! I am just over the bridge. Love the folks at Closet and Storage Concepts. We're just missing one thing and that is you. Get well soon. We have a kitchen to design...
    Elizabeth Trout

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kristine--
    thinking of you at all times, my dear friend. MEgan, Alison and I will be there next week, to keep you company and give lots of love and support and hopefully some laughter.....
    Can't wait to see you.
    Leigh

    ReplyDelete