Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Losing It

Last week was an extremely hard week for me. On Thursday I found out about the fertility facts. They were upsetting but reality set in on Friday. I have many friends that I have met through my cancer journey. One of them was my friend Varda. I met her in the dog park about five years ago. She is one of the most quick witted and intelligent people I have ever met. We had always had an arms length relationship until about 6 months ago when she told me that she had stage 4 ovarian cancer. Her cancer actually started out as cervical but went undetected for so long that it spread and became extremely serious. Varda and I would get our dogs together and we would just talk all day. I tried to talk her into going to Hippocrates with me but she was part of a clinical trial for a new chemo and missing even one treatment would get her thrown off the trial. Before I left she was doing really well and had just had a scan that showed no signs of cancer. We were both so excited. I promised her that when I returned I would show her the raw diet and bring Hippocrates to her. I actually called her on Thursday before I went to the doctor and didn't hear back. On Friday I received another call from another friend in the dog park who informed me that Varda passed away on Wednesday and Thursday was her funeral. I just couldn't believe it. Only six weeks ago we were laughing and her scan was clean and now she was gone. Needless to say I was a mess. I am sure many of you have lost loved ones in your lives and nothing ever really prepares you for it. For me, it was my first cancer friend that didn't make it. It hit home. I am still terribly upset by her passing. I truly believe that the chemo just kept breaking down her immune system until it just shut down. Things happened so fast. I will miss her so much and just hope she is in a better place.

Then the next phone call was my friend Andrea. Remember me talking about her before? www.punkrockmommy.org She has also been on chemo for over a year now and she found a growth in her neck that was confirmed to be cancer. They also found spots on her liver. So basically the chemo is not stopping the cancer. It has found a way to spread and is now in one of her major organs. This is very bad news. She talked about going on the intense chemo I was on during my treatment. Since that day it sounds like she is going to look for other options which I am happy to hear about. The doctors told her she had about 6-9 months to live. I am so afraid of that day when I call her cell phone and there is no answer. When will this stop?

After all of this bad news, I decided to try and get in touch with the rest of my cancer friends. Valerie that I met in Radiation has not returned my call. Erica, who I met in Florida at Hippocrates, has not returned any of the three messages I have left. One of the messages included a plea from me to just let me know that she was alright and that I was very worriedabout her. Of course I think the worst. Hopefully they are just in St. Maartin like I was and they are relaxing and enjoying life.

Now that last week is over it really gives me a reality check about my fertility news. Here I am upset about not being able to have my own children. When really I should just be amazed that I am still feeling good and enjoying my life. So if maybe today isn't going so well for you put yourself in any of my friends shoes and feel extremely lucky. As one of my friends late father used to say," We are all just a breath away."

2 comments:

  1. Oh Kristine, all of this news just breaks my heart for you! Don't misunderstand me, I do hear your message loud and clear.....you realize how lucky you are (and so should all of us that keep up with your postings). But, do allow yourself to feel sorrow and the loss of your dear friend. Don't deny yourself the time to work through all of your emotions.

    Honestly, you and I know that I, as well as others have no way of knowing exactly how you feel and what you are experiencing. However, I do know you and I know that all of this must be so hard for you to take in. You are such a positive individual and sometimes a person can only take so much negativity before it gets them down.....Maybe ask yourself, how would your friend want you to live? How do you want to live?

    You have a wonderful family and Ryan just seems like the most incredible guy ever, so lean on them (harder now than ever) Now is not a time to be too independant. I wish you the time to grieve, the energy to continue taking such great care of yourself, and the desire from within to live life to the fullest because that is YOU!!!! I am sorry for all of this difficult news.

    Lastly, I just have to share that I can relate to some of your baby issues. That is equally as tough to go through as losing someone, no matter how you try to sugar coat it....I know! I am one of the lucky ones, after five long years of invitro and much heartache Brooke Jane was born. However, it was a long road and like you I met numerous women expereincing my pain. Some went on to have children and some were unable to have a baby. In the end, I have learned about the power of choices and options that exist when it comes to having a family and maybe, just maybe there already is or will be a little girl or boy that needs you and Ryan and all of the love that you have to offer!

    I love you dearly and am deeply sorry for the pain that you are feeling. You are in my prayers and I know that you will dig deep for strength to get through this most difficult time. Love, Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh my goodness I didn't know you felt this way during the call last night I am so sorry please take care of yourself!

    Love Barbara

    ReplyDelete