Friday, July 25, 2008

Falling Through the Cracks

The medical profession is crazy. When I last visited my oncologist after my last scan they didn't like how things looked. They had me do a needle biopsy that came back with no abnormal cells. They then suggest that I either do another needle biopsy or surgery. I opted for surgery. I go and visit the surgeon and wait three and a half hours in the waiting room. I told him that he won the prize for longest wait yet. However, the craziest part of that long wait was that they couldn't pull up my scans so the surgeon couldn't really give me an opinion. I then had to run around and pick up all of my scans and deliver them to his office. That was over a week and a half ago and I had yet to hear from them. Finally today I see their number written down on a piece of paper and decide I should follow up and see what is going on. I call and I am immediately put on hold for 15 minutes until a nurse practitioner gets on the phone and informs me that the surgeon talked to my oncologist last week and they decided that I should have the surgery. Thanks for filling me in. When were they going to get around to telling me??!!

I however, have different plans at this point. I am leaving tomorrow for a two week trip to see my family in Michigan and to attend my 20 year high school reunion. I am returning mid August and I am due for my next round of scans at the end of August. I am going to stick it out and see what the next scans show. My cough is getting better all of the time and I will be interested to see if the branch like growths have increased or decreased. I am hoping for gone all together. Time will tell. It is a little bit of a game of roulette. Time is usually not your friend when we are talking cancer but I am confident that all of the things I am doing will make the difference in my good health. People ask me all of the time, "How do you feel?" Well, I feel fantastic. I have great energy and I am having the best summer. I am just starting to feel like I am getting back to myself after the heart surgery of almost a year ago. Another surgery doesn't sound so good to me. How long does it take to recuperate form lung surgery?? Hopefully not another year......

I will most likely not be writing until I return from Michigan. Consider it a vacation from blogging. I will do my best in keeping you posted when I return. Big Love,

Kristine

5 comments:

  1. I wanna come to Michigan too! I will be thinking of you- I know you will have so much fun. Lots of Love, Mallary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristine--You can count me in--There will be at least two of us possibly as many as four--can't wait to see you...Love ya, Aunt Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I was in michigan with you! I knew you were going but I didn't know about the slip and slide! I love the slip and slide and would have come! However, dad and I are playing in our first poker tournament in Vegas at the Golden Nugget that weekend. There aren't many times that you get to have your dad all to your self for the weekend so we decided to play the tourney and you know how much we love that-so if we win we win 21 million miles on continental since it is Continental's One Pass 21st bday poker tourney so I can sport your travel for a very longggg time! All of us in fact. I miss you and love you and hope you have a wonderful 20 yr renuion! Biff loved his, of course we had Hannah the next morning but he loved all his old girlfriends mauling over him about how great he turned out-hhahahaha (i know he is reading this!) So go flirt with all the old boys and kiss all the old girls and the biggest B in school is probably fat and ugly now, heheheh-have fun, see you soon. All my love, Cris

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was great to see you last weekend. The reunion was so much fun! You did it again....we all wore black and you wowed the crowd with another red dress, nice job, Kristine!! Love your hair! You look amazing, so healthy & beautiful. I hope you're having a great week. Looking forward to seeing you on Sunday.
    JMB

    ReplyDelete
  5. How was the party this weekend??? Hopefully it was great. We are good- house is looking GOOD! I'll call you. --lk

    ReplyDelete