Thursday, November 20, 2008

Home for the Holiday

Kristine and I met with the rehabilitation team today for a "family meeting." Kristine's mom also joined via conference call. We discussed Kristine's progress and plans for migrating her back into the real world. The doctor and the physical therapists all felt strongly that Kristine was ready to move to a day therapy program and that doing so would be good for her progress.

The plan is simple -- of course, in practice there will be tons of obstacles with which to contend. Kristine will conduct her physical therapy (PT) at home on Friday with her current therapist, Mike. This will allow for an even more practical framework and context to navigate through daily issues around the house. On Friday, she will move back home after 28 days in in-patient rehab. They originally planned to keep her over the weekend, but we all felt it best to start adjusting to home life while I had two full days off and since weekend therapy is generally a source of frustration for Kristine anyway.

The following week Kristine will not have therapy due to the holiday. We will be forced to adjust to some challenging circumstances. Fortunately, her parents will be back in town for a little over a week to help out. The following week, Kristine will transfer to a day rehabilitation center where she will be given more intense therapy from 9am to 3pm five days a week. The team believes that based on her current progress she will likely complete this phase of treatment within 2-4 weeks at which time she will continue a lighter form of therapy only a few days a week.

The rehabilitation team, and specifically the social worker, are helping to solve some of the other logistical details (e.g., Kristine's very own wheelchair, a specific type of side-raise commode, a shower seat, etc.). They are also exploring transportation options to and from day therapy for the weeks following Thanksgiving. Apparently is not the easiest service to lock down, but I have to believe that we can find a private service on our own, if necessary. We may have to rely on friends for transport help though until we get something set up.

We had considered moving Kristine out to Texas to live with her parents for a few months. There is a good rehab center relatively close by, she would have her parents' full attention and their house doesn't have stairs. The trouble is there's still cancer to deal with, so we need to remain in the area for doctor visits and potential treatment. For now it looks like we will remain in Philadelphia and do the best we can.

12 comments:

  1. i can be shuttle service every Monday afternoon. good thing i have to get back home by 5pm, or i'd be shuttling her to the mall!

    seriously though, count me in for Monday's if it sounds like a good option.

    Roey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Count me in as well. I'd be thrilled to help out any day/time you need. And of course we all want to shuttle her to the mall.


    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. If i was there I would help!
    I am so happy you are home for your favorite HOLIDAY! I still remember 821 Pine the Plutos Thanksgiving as one of the best ever
    Mom can't eat anything so Thanksgiving is a HUGE challenge it is a really hard to figure out what to do but here's the plan I am taking her to the hotel to go swimming when she was stressing in the hospital she said her happy place (trying to calm her down I would say think of a happy place) is a POOL and swimming so I am going to work everything out so she can swim on Thanksgiving after over 60 days in Hospitals in the last 80 days I think that should be a wonderful Treat... oh so the point of all this is HOME should be a great Thanksgiving treat for you!!

    lots of love

    Barbara Vale

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news !!!!!! I can hear Rufus's tail slapping against the floor already. YEA... Mommy is coming home. This time you won't have to do your Bonnie & Clyde impersonation, escaping down Lombard. Steady onward Buddy. Hey Kris, remember the time you parked a Toyota on the sidewalk accidentally...giggle. Loving, prayer filled Vibes > > > >>>>>>>>
    Happy Trails, Bill & Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to know that the therapy plan is showing steady progress! I hope being home gives you a big boost--having all the comforts of your own house. And seeing RUFUS everyday : )
    Much love,
    Kira

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristine and Ryan,
    I think about the two of you often. My love and prayers are always there for both of you.

    Love,
    Aunt Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kristine. Well it's just like you to be on the move.....I am so happy to hear that you are busting out of the full time therapy and getting back home. I know that it will not be easy, but it looks like there are many people near you that are ready to help out. I hope that you roll with it and let others pitch in.....it feels so good for others to help when possible, so look at it as if you are helping them by letting them help you!!! You are loved and thought of all the time - Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristing and Ryan:

    Sending love, good thoughts and interest from Idaho. We are so gladt to hear things are improving and you are home. Much love to you both. Dana M. and Danny M.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Kristine--
    Thinking of you. I hope your first weekend home was a good one!!
    much love,
    kira

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kristine and Ryan,

    I just finished reading the blog from Thursday, 11/20. I can't believe Magee Rehab doesn't have pick-up/drop off service for some of their patients? I find this hard to believe. I can help out on the weekends, if Kristine needs a ride to and from the rehab center. During the week is hard for me with work.
    I'm happy to hear she is home with you, Rufus and her family. Please let me know if I can help in any other way. It would be my pleasure.

    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Love,

    Kathy and Ruby xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don and I are free almost any time to drop off or pick up from rehab. It would be our pleasure, so please let us know when we can sign up!

    ReplyDelete