Thursday, June 5, 2008

Reality Check

Kristine had her follow up appointment with Dr. Staddon this afternoon to review her latest CT scans and MRI. I accompanied her for support and to hear what the oncologist had to say about her results.

It's difficult to describe our moods going into the appointment -- each of us probably carrying a very different set of complex and mixed emotions. The underlying mood was palpable though, especially since we avoided anything but surface level conversation about the upcoming visit.

Psychologically I've been able to escape a bit, relegating cancer to a one-time event in our distant past. Even as reminders have emerged in the last month or so that the past may not be so distant -- a constant dry cough, light-headedness when Kristine stands up and an acute discomfort in her right shoulder -- I remain optimistic and rationalize these symptoms away as part of the healing process. But this couldn't be further from Kristine's reality. She lives constantly with these symptoms as nagging reminders that any one of her scan appointments could reveal a recurrence. Nonetheless, she still has an amazing and unyielding optimism about whatever news she may receive.

In the office, the nurses stopped to say hello and compliment Kristine on how great she looks -- her spirit positive and her skin noticeably glowing from her raw vegan diet. We sat in near silence waiting for the doctor, both of us introspective about what news we might learn. Once in the examination room, Dr. Staddon took some time to talk about the scan results. He typed information into the office computer as he asked the usual exploratory questions. After some small talk he began discussing the results with us.

The scans show two branching mass-like soft tissue densities in Kristine's right lower lung. Dr. Staddon said that the presentation of these "nodules," as he called them, are very unusual. Tumors normally form initially as isolated masses rather than as branching structures as were seen in Kristine's scans. The nodules were seen in her scans a few months ago but were much smaller. They are still only about 2 cm in length (a little under an inch) and are likely causing Kristine's dry cough. Dr. Staddon expressed his concern but said that in order to be certain that the tissue was malignant and related to the previous cancer a biopsy will be necessary. He was also quick to mention chemotherapy options, which apparently would be different from prior treatments since new drugs have recently shown to be effective and less intensive. Both Kristine and I cringed at the very mention of additional chemo.

Kristine is scheduled for a needle biopsy early next week, after which we will meet with the oncologist to discuss the results and next steps. Kristine is doing well and continues to be optimistic. Part of her has been almost expecting to get this news since the end of her last radiation treatment, but of course there is always a hope that she is wrong.

We will keep you posted next week.

Ryan

Hi everybody, It's Kristine! I felt like I had to add a little something. Please don't worry and get all upset. I am taking this one step at a time and I am not concerned at all. I am living in the moment and in this moment there is no definite answer. So tomorrow I will be enjoying my life at the pool for the day. There, now you are all a bit jealous of me. Love ya,

Kristine

16 comments:

  1. Kristine my dear...man the bad news just keeps coming at us doesn't it? And we keep playing dodge ball with it right? Just bobbing and weaving away from the misery of this stupid disease. I love you with all my heart. I think of you often and I pray that you remain healthy. I am here if you need to vent. Today I said the exact same thing you did...F*** cancer! I am over it.I want it to leave me and you alone.All my love, Andrea Collins Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kristine, We haven't written in a few, but are watching you through the blog every day you or Ryan write. Thinking and praying for you several times a day. We read your fantastic attitude and applaud your optimism. I've known from the first day I met you, that you were a force to be reckoned with. You've proved me right, thank God. You show it over and over again and I am so proud to know you !! I have two Uncles who are in remission and share that same special zest for life that you express. I feel so small in life when I compare myself to you and the many others who face Cancer daily. You are one of my heroes and I respect you immensley !! Take a dip for me tomorrow , I'll be thinking of you throughout the days, as usual. Keep the faith, we're all vibing for you at full oscillation.

    Love and Hugs (close your eyes and feel the hugs)
    Happy Trails, Bill & Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Sweet Kristine,

    I have been anxious to read today's blog ever since you went to the Dr. last week. Actually, ever since you left my house 2 weeks ago! I am so sorry you didn't get the fabulous report that we were hoping for...but I REFUSE to believe anything other than YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU SET YOUR MIND TO, and if that means kicking cancer back into submission...SO BE IT. I know that is not what either you or I want to hear, and I am hoping and praying with all my might that they are going to do the biopsy and get back to you with some very minimally invasive procedure that can be done, and then they can let you get on with your life again (and back to the pool!) :-)

    You know you can count on me for ANYTHING...and if you ever need to talk...or don't really want to do the talking...just want someone ELSE to talk TO...I'm your girl.

    BE STRONG MY FRIEND. I will stay tuned to see what the latest is and in the meantime...will be sending you all kinds of positive energy, vibes and prayers that I can muster.

    Lots of Love, From Florida, Iowa and Beyond!

    XOXO,
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  4. KB - You're such a piece of work!!! I love your addition to the post. I don't worry until you do and you don't sound worried today.
    Enjoy the pool!! It's gonna be a hot one.
    - windy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hannah and I want to come to the pool with you! We are always here for you and will learn to live one day at a time with you. Reading "the new earth" which helps with perspective and mind over matter! I am sending you lightening energy everyday! All my love CF

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey baby girl,
    You soak up that sun and keep up your strength. Go Green Juice!
    Love you tons,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey K + R-

    Can't wait to get see you. We love u!

    xoxo, simone

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kristine,
    It's hard to put into words the amount of inspiration you provide and positivity you exude. So many people would wallow in their self pity and accept the blows life gives them with an attitude of defeat, but not you. You WILL beat this, and your inspiration will serve all of us who read your words. Peace and love to you.
    Lisa (Stahl) Eischer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristine,
    In spite of whatever comes your way your ability to stay "in the moment" is amazing and inspiring. Everyone has ups and downs in thire life but to focus on the truth in the moment can be so very difficult. Thank you so much for what you wrote as, despite the unsettling information, I finished reading your blog with a smile on my face. You are remarkable and I hope to live a bit more as you do- in the moment.
    I love you, your cousin Mallary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kristine
    I glad to hear you are taking it one day at time - I am not so sure I could be as brave as you!
    Enjoy the pool .. Enjoy Life and as you say Trust Life
    I love you
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  11. "I love you and I miss you."
    -Avery P.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kristine & Ryan,
    I'm thinking about you, & praying for the best next week (& always). You two are amazing. I can't wait to see you in August!
    Take care.
    Love,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  13. "I love you and I miss you."
    -Avery

    Ditto for us.
    -Leigh and Jas

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kristine. I am praying for you and as usual I am so inspired by your wonderful spirit. I send you lots of love and wish I could give you the biggest hug ever!!!! Love, Ann =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. In the Moment is my new mantra..I am sending you vibes as intense and vibrant as you are.
    Love, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Chin, spirits, faith,..keep 'em all up. And a little shoe shopping never hurts!

    Love ya Champ!

    Beth & Mike M.

    ReplyDelete