Friday, April 13, 2007

4/12 - Days 3&4, Cycle 2: Chemo

The last couple of days were good for Kristine, at least as chemotherapy days go. Kristine's fluid retention levels remained low with the help of the diuretic she's taking. Her energy, although diminished, is healthy. Her appetite is sporadic -- things like oranges and smoothies that she would eat when nothing else sounded good have grown insipid from repetition. Overall though her health is as expected given all the medication she has absorbed.

As it seems for most days, the last couple have not come without their set of challenges. On Wednesday night we came back from the treatment center after another long day, started Kristine on her home intravenous medication and hydration fluids, and started watching the results portion of American Idol. (I am particularly engrossed in this season having taken part in an office pool where, I might add, I've consistently been among the top 4 out of around 50 participants. Sad I know, but it's one of my few guilty pleasures these days and serves as an excellent distraction.) In the middle of the show the power went out in our surrounding area and we were left in the dark for the rest of the night. No electricity meant no computer, hence no blog post.

Thursday was emotional for Kristine as well as her support team. Connie (Kristine's mom) will be leaving on Saturday and that reality has been difficult for Kristine. Mrs. Becker has been an enormously indispensable asset over the past month. Kristine and I could not have held things together as well as we have without her help. It will, however, be good for her to rejuvenate and get some semblance of her life back, even if it is just for a couple of weeks. (Lucas especially will miss the challenge of trying to steal her knitting yarn.) Emotions ran high into the night. Although Connie's impending departure was the catalyst for the day's emotions it seemed that even the smallest gesture of love or sympathy was met with tears.

For today, Friday, we are preparing to shave Kristine's remaining hair. The special voting blog post to determine the most popular head treatment will likely be installed in the next few days. As for my standing in the American Idol pool, I moved up the 3rd place after choosing the bottom three and the loser correctly (I'm sure you were itching to know).

11 comments:

  1. So now we know who the force is behind Sanjaya! It's Ryan!

    Anyway on to our girl. Personally, I'm looking forward to shopping for an electric blue wig for you KB. I think you'll look sooo sexy!

    I'm sure you're glad that this week is behind you, keep up the battle, I know you're up for the fight.

    Mike and I have you in our thoughts all the time. Let us know if you need anything.

    Love,
    Beth & Mike Mason

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still think a Bright Red Wig is a Great look for Kristine since she is full of Fire!
    Lots of love your way - hang in there you are in our thoughts
    Love
    Barbara & Joan Vale

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are really on my mind today. I went to a cancer fundraiser luncheon today and heard so many wonderful success stories! I can't wait till we have you up there telling your success story about beating LMS! I know this has been a tough week for you and you are really sad about your mom leaving so my hugs and kisses go out to you and I can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks. As for your wig, I'm sure we can find you something sexy and it seems as if blue and red are the 2 suggestions so far :) Can't wait to see fashion show to decide which one looks best! Tell Lucas and Rufus Aunt Cris will see them soon. We all love you very much
    Biff, Cris, Buck, Jackson, and Baby Hank

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kristine,
    Beth might be onto something. Somebody has got to be voting for him...If Ryan suggests a wig that looks anything like Sanjaya, run like hell!!! (Only kidding, Ryan...I watch Idol and I have no excuse!!!)I am glad this week is behind you. Let me know if there is anything you need...can't wait to see you and catch up.
    Elizabeth Trout

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to send a little love your way. Sorry to hear about the power outage during Idol. the nerve of PECO, what timing!
    Kira

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kristine,
    I'm glad chemo is over for the week. I know tomorrow will be hard for you, but now you can start counting the days when your Mom will be back. I think you'll look beautiful in any style wig!! From your pics you don't look like you've aged at all since I saw you last! Not fair!! I've been thinking about you today and you are in my prayers every night. Love, Jodi
    PS: It's nice to know Jimmy can still make us laugh!! Don't ya miss him???!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kristine and Ryan,

    Big hugs from Saginaw.

    Kristine, I'm so sorry you are going through this, but you are such a strong and positive woman that you WILL beat this.

    None of us ever know why these things happen, but there are lessons for us all to learn. I'm sure there is going to be something positive for you that comes from all of this.....just trust that your future will be a good one.

    As for this Ryan guy:-) (whom I have never met), it is obvious he loves you very much and he has done a great job of 'keeping it together' and keeping us posted on your progress. Ryan, thank you.....you are incredible.

    Stay strong.....a lot of people care very much about you.

    Love,
    Pat Bierlein
    (Steff's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stiner,
    Just checked your blog again as I've been constantly thinking about you and sending positive thoughts your way. It is great to see your smilen face in the photos Ryan has posted.

    Speaking of...
    What a guy is all I can say! I am going to meet him one of these days I'm positive! Maybe at our class reunion. Did you realize our 20th yes, 20th class reunion is just a hop, skip and a jump away? If we don't have one than I may just jump in the car and show up on your doorstep. I love a good roadtrip. Sorry to say I retired the "Banana Mobile" sometime back probably around the time you also retired your green machine.

    I think you are very brave and I'm happy to know you are in very good hands. Hang in there during these challenging weeks. I'll be thinking of you!

    For the record, I am sure your new look will be fabulous!
    Love,
    Shannon Hall

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Kristine,

    I might still have that lavender wig I bought for the "funky-fairy-princess-bitch" halloween costume you put together for me. Let me know if you'd like me to send it;)

    Thinking of you everyday!!

    Love,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Kristine,
    I remembered that today was going to be a difficult day, with your mother leaving Phila for awhile. Just want you to know that I'm thinking of you, as I'm sure is everyone that knows and loves you.
    Much love,
    Kira

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Kristine,
    Thinking about you all of the time. Can not wait until we can have lunch together.
    I am soo glad this week is behind you! You are almost half way there. Keep up your positive attitude and let me know when you are ready for visitors. Kathleen and I would love to come see you.
    And the new look, I am sure you are going to be beautiful!
    Your friend,
    Debbie (Philly Mag)

    ReplyDelete