Sunday, January 27, 2008

Hippocrates Day 1

My friends Leigh and Jason drove me to Hippocrates today. Jason was last here 16 years ago when he suffered so badly from Chronic Fatigue that he was in a wheelchair and slept over 20 hours a day. He and Leigh had talked about coming here for years. Finally he returned, only to find that he would have liked to stay longer then 2 hours. There is something very special about this place. It is very peaceful and embracing.

I personally have had a very emotional day. I am not sure why but I have been fighting back tears all day. I have been holding it together but it is weird that all of a sudden I have become extremely emotional. Maybe I feel like I am letting down my guard. Sometimes I feel like a cancer spokes person. I want people to see that you can have cancer and still be happy and laugh and not let it take over your life. Here I have zoned in on my goal and it brings having cancer to the surface. No lunches out, movies, boutique shopping. Nothing to distract me from this very real disease. Tonight we sat around in a circle and had to introduce ourselves and explain why we decided to come to Hippocrates. When it was my turn to speak, I let everyone in on my stage IV cancer and what the last year of my life was like. I was surprised to hear my voice crack. The women running tonight's session had explained that yes you came here to learn about living raw foods but what you didn't plan on is the emotional and spiritual journey that you all have signed up for. I am already beginning to understand what she meant by that.

So I had pretty much two big salads today and some water. The salads consisted of mostly sprouts. They tasted pretty good. I was surprised to find out no vinegar. I guess they consider that as bad as alcohol around here. I am sure I will learn more when I attend the classes. Tomorrow is avocado day. I can hardly wait!!

7 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you. What you are doing is probably one of the most challenging things anyone could ever do- facing this head on. It's so courageous.

    We love you so much and Avery is missing you....
    -Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to hear about your experience, especially the colonic. Is that wrong? :) I miss you already. I will eat lots of avocado today in your honor.
    XO,
    Windy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right! No lunches out, movies or boutiques, but I know you can do it! Remember what Grandma always said, "You can do anything!" The only thing I'm worried about is are you going to turn green, but don't worry about it. You always look beautiful in whatever shade you are.
    Call anytime! I am here for you!!
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiny Steins,
    I know this must be a hard time for you, but remember there will always be our favorite card games such as Old Hell and Golf to bring up your spirits.
    Looking forward to many card games with you and Ruffus this summer.
    Love you
    Papa Bears

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Kristine--
    Wishing you much laughter to balance the tough moments.
    Love from the Shore!!
    Kira

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so exciting you enjoy , learn and have fun!
    Lot's of thoughts are with you during this adventure
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kristine -
    I work with Ryan at Chase and I am so glad you told us about the colonic. That tidbit of information makes for some great ribbing.
    What you are embarking on is a true inspiration, especially to those of us that have never met you.
    Good Luck!
    Jen DeVoll

    ReplyDelete