Thursday, January 31, 2008

Hip Hip Hippocrates!!

So things are going well. Today was once again extremely busy and I am very tired right now. It is amazing how much energy I have yet I am so out of shape. I have been attending classes such as yoga and pool aerobics and have been stuggling to get through them. I actually only spent 5 minutes on the eliptical trainer today and had to quit. I remember when I could just jump on at any time for at least 30min. However, I find it funny that I can only last 5 minutes on the eliptical but I could shop for 8 hours straight without a break. Very interesting.

Today we had two lectures one was on why we should buy organic. It was actually pretty boring because it is all of the reasons we already know. Of course we should buy organic but there always seems to be something that gets in the way. I won't go on about this subject because I think it is a no brainer. Next time you go to the grocery store remember you deserve the best and just suck up the extra cost. Your body is well worth it.

We then had a class on kitchen techniques. Well if I thought raw was complicated before, I was right. You have to be extremely organized and you have to be thinking about what you want to eat 3 days from now. Everything takes prep. I thought I would be good with at least nuts for a snack but oh no, you have to soak them and then dehydrate them to make them pure. Being vegetarian is not enough on this program. I also found out more of my favorite foods are big
no no's. Such as black beans, any kind of vineager, wine, cashews, peanuts and of course cheese. They even have a big article about soy products and how they are genetically minipulated and are not good for you at all. I kow what you are thinking right now because I am thinking the same thing........what's left? Well there are a lot of options but it requires some creativity. At the end of the lecture he made us some taco meat out of walnuts. I couldn't beleive it, it was awesome. Who wants to come over for taco's when I get home becaue I think I will be making those ever night. : }

After all of this I was feeling a bit defeated and wondered how I was going to make this work in my everyday life. Then there was a lecture from a previous attendee that came here to talk about her story. She was diagnosed with sarcoma in her leg and basically after three opinions the docters told her that she would have to have her leg amputated or she would die. This was not an option for her so she came here to Hippocrates instead. She cured herself of cancer twelve years ago and still has both legs. Thank god because this 81 year old needs both legs for her ballroom dancing classes!! Very inspiring. After hearing something like that you tell yourself, "I can do this!!"

It isn't easy being green. Love ya,

Kristine

P.S. Still no spell check......I count on that my spelling is nicht ser gut!

9 comments:

  1. hang in there, kermit. you'll be saving lots of cash by prepping all of this food...instead of shopping!

    i can't wait to try the tacos!

    and it sounds like we need to work out together. i get 8 minutes on the treadmill when baby tightens my stomach into a knot! couple that with Connor waking me up every two hours (yes, it's 3:30 in the morning right now- thank god for the blog!) and me not being able to get back to sleep anymore- i'm a powerhouse! by the time i'm ready to get a good work out again, you'll be back in tip-top shape! you still need to teach me how to rollerblade, remember!

    ~roey

    ReplyDelete
  2. loving your entries. cannot wait to see you in a few weeks. it sounds like each day is an amazing experience. when i read about quiet day, i just smiled. i thought about you all day and was wondering if you were really pulling it off....6 pm is pretty impressive. the tacos out of walnuts sound pretty amazing. looking forward to hear stories. the inspiring story about the woman with sarcoma gives us all hope. there are so many similar stories out there. remember what we talked about at the beginning of all of this...about taking your story on the road. hippocrates...here kristine comes!!

    your fan club is amazing. i am up with roey....it is 4:00 a.m. i was checking the status of our "snow day." the snow is falling, but it needs to fall a bit faster before 5:00 a.m. hits. hoping for BIG SNOW!love you lots...colette

    ReplyDelete
  3. IT'S A SNOW DAY! you know how much i love these so i just wanted to share my excitement with you. i'm in bed w/ my laptop and justin just asked me if i'm going to bed soon b/c the "click, click" is driving him crazy....nice role reversal for a change!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kristine, Sorry I have not written before this, I have been thinking about you and Ryan alot. I would be very interested in learning more about the raw diet it actually sounds good, looking forward to the book listing. Be safe Love ya lots Mom/Holly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn woman, you really have the best titles. Did you have a career in advertising before we met?
    that story of the 81 year old woman is beyond inspiring.
    Sounds like the green living has big payoffs!
    Much love,
    Kira

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Hey Kristine....I got my snow day and thinking about what I should make the kids for lunch. Maybe I should make them something green....the tacos would be interesting since that is one of their all time favorite meals. Now there would be some honest opinions! The story about the 81 year young lady is so inspiring, I hope that you continue to hear good stuff and someday I can see you sharing your story with others and continuing to inspire all of those that love you, including strangers that you have yet to meet and impact. Hang in there and enjoy your green day, while I enjoy my white day...going out to shovel and hopefully build a snowman with Brooke - I'll make a snow angel for you, I promise! Love, Ann Riffel :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, I was trying to get ready for your visit. Called Mom of all people to figure what I should have on hand. Well, I decided that hot dogs and cherios might not be the best thing. I think you are totally over that stage in your life anyway.

    So, we're eating out!!!!!

    Love you

    g

    ReplyDelete
  8. found this place: http://www.arnoldsway.com/

    he looks a little more lax than your program (carrot juice is on the menu), but we should try it out next time we head to the Prush!

    ~roey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Kristine - Sounds like a new adventure for you - you never stop, which is what is so inspiring. We are continuing to pray for your continued good health - I feel its a sure thing - Keep up the great attitude - Deb Wade

    ReplyDelete