Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Don't Believe It Till You See It

I am your biggest skeptic. I feel like I am always questioning everything I am told. I am not afraid to be different or to stand out. To break it down, I have a big mouth and I am not afraid to use it. Some say it is part of my charm. ha ha!!

So when I decided to come to Hippocrates I didn't know what to expect. I wanted to be open to any possibility that might make me well. I just didn't want to continue to live the same way I had been before cancer because that apparently didn't work out so well. Also, if the cancer ever comes back no one could say that I didn't try everything to beat it. I will be honest, the raw vegan diet was not appealing and it still really isn't. It is going to take some getting used to. I will say that the things I have seen so far are big motivators.

First I met a girl named Julie. She is in her late 40's or early 50's. The first day of being here we compared our cancers. She has a cancer that started in her mouth. (no she doesn't smoke) The cancer had spread and it was on her sternum and neck. The tumor on her neck was sticking out and was the size of half a baseball. It was hard to miss. She read about Hippocrates before she came and started wheatgrass shots twice daily and saw some improvement. Her diet still wasn't quite right, kind of like mine was with lots of sugar. Since she has been here I have watched her everyday and have seen with my own eyes the tumor shrinking. She has had no medications or chemo. She refused them all and decided to go the natural approach. It is amazing to see that kind of progress in under two weeks. It is stories like Julie's that give me strength to keep on eating raw.

My own interesting fact is my hair. The first time it grew back it was probably 50% grey. When I started my next round of chemo, after my surgery, I decided to give up red meat. When my hair grew back the second time it didn't look as grey. I thought it was just my imagination. However, as I have been here, my hair gets darker everyday. Once again I thought I must have just been in bad lighting but people keep commenting on my hair getting darker. It is hard to deny that they are right. I have also looked around at all of the people that work here. Some in their 60's and 70's and they don't have a grey hair on their heads and let's not even talk about wrinkles. How do you explain that. You might say they dye it. I would have to tell you that I could spot a dye job a mile away. I have been dying my hair since I was 18 after all. What it comes down to is that there has got to be something to this lifestyle. I keep trying to find some flaws in it so I can continue to have pizza, wine and chocolate but I am running out of excuses. If I find one you will be first to know.

Love ya,
Kristine

8 comments:

  1. KB
    I can't wait until you're ready for a hair cut. I found an organic salon that you are going to LOVE.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. we'll make buck-whatever-cracker pizza with chez. finish it off with carob yummies. pizza and chocolate for you!

    closet looks great! Latney and Karl did the install. i think Maya wanted to go home with Karl (although we're getting along better now.) They both say HI!

    thanks for the e;mail. can you drink hot tea (decaf), by the way? or would that cook the foods in your stomach or something?
    ~roey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Girlie,

    Another massive snow day here in Michigan and obviously I am happy to have another day off....oh the joys of being a teacher!!! Anyway, I was feeling a little frazzled today as I am getting ready to host a b-day party this weekend for my Brooke(3), my niece, and my big brother, along with attending three of Justin's hockey games out of town. Well, I thought to myself "This is stupid, be happy for a great day off and being able to celebrate so many birthdays!" I thought of you and just knew that you would have something inspiring for me to read....as usual, you never fail. Thanks for the motivating stories, you're the best!!! Love, Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I thought going raw was a little on the pricey side compared to "regular" eating..BUT if I am not going to have to dye the grey out of my hair then I break even!!!!
    PS I had "raw" desserts for Trevors 10th birthday party!!! Changing the world one child at a time :)
    Love your blog xxxoooo

    ReplyDelete
  5. An the hits keep on coming from you. Shots of wheatgrass up your A**. Sounds delightful :o

    Jason and Pete want to know if the wheatgrass shots make you kick your leg even higher over your head?

    Tim is here today....he gets married in 4 weeks..can you believe it?

    We at CSC are sending thoughts of chocolate, french fries, pizza and wine to you!

    Keep the faith!

    Hugs & Wheatgrass Kisses,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stine! I am finally caught up on your raw adventure! Left you a message yesterday - but don't worry about returning the call - focus, baby, focus! I am really excited about the experience you are having - sounds like it is having a positive impact in more than one way. Seems like this is what you needed. Very excited for you!

    No more gray hair? That in itself pays for the 3 weeks at the Institute. Think of all of the hair dye costs you will save going forward!!! Great thing is, you are beautiful no matter your hair color.

    Miss you terribly and looking forward to talking to you live! Have a great week and talk to you soon!

    Love -

    J.J.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Getting rid of Gray by FOOD what a concept I might even go for that!
    Love the blogs keep enjoying this adventure

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great news
    There is a restaurant in NY that is called Pure Food and Wine-it is an all raw menu
    so next time I am there you can come and we can shop and eat raw! Not sure how wine got in the name but here's hoping wine is raw in some aspect :)
    love you
    Cris

    ReplyDelete