Sunday, February 10, 2008

Train from Philadelphia

When Kristine first told me that she was going to spend three weeks at a holistic healing center in Florida to learn about moving to a raw food diet I frankly thought she had completely gone nuts. At first I thought that the hallucinations she had experienced back in her last round of chemo had officially altered her good judgment. But when my initial reaction of silence followed by laughter was met with sour disapproval, I realized that this was no passing fancy and that I was destined to be dragged into the deep end of the produce aisle.

My research on the Hippocrates Health Institute and on raw vegetarianism left me even more skeptical. There is little research that I could find to prove or disprove that a raw vegetarian diet has any health benefits at all, let alone the miraculous benefits that the Institute's testimonials claim. To me the Directors of the Institute looked like hippy freaks promoting the benefits of uncooked food -- just as nature had intended -- and colonics... surely NOT what nature had ever intended. I mean really, I can maybe get my head around the idea that a plant based diet is a more natural one for humans since the human is the only animal to cook its food while larger mammals (i.e., cows, horses, whales, etc.) live entirely off of raw plant life. However, I have a hard time believing that a plastic tube inserted into one's bum for the purpose of "cleansing" one's colon is the best way to regain one's natural health.

Despite my uncertainty this was about Kristine. It was not about me, the protection of my colonic virginity or my health. At least that's what I thought.

My experience at the Institute was actually rather enjoyable. The campus is a self contained little oasis in the middle of the warm West Palm, Florida sun. The pathways wind around the property shaded by large tropical palms. Benches and hammocks are set into niches carved into the lush green flora. Stucco and terracotta roofed common buildings and lodges are integrated into the tranquil landscape. One small path leads to a large pool area with three therapy pools, a Jacuzzi and a sauna. Waterfall pools and installations trickle and flow at every turn. The campus is peaceful and relaxing making it more like a spa than a food camp.

The wheatgrass shots were not bad at all and I warmed up to the green juice after about the third day. I'll even go as far as to say that I grew to like the cucumber, celery and sprout cocktail and will not mind continuing the practice of juicing veggies at home. The lunch and dinner salads made up of lettuce, a variety of sprouts and sprouted beans, and the occasional special surprise salad left me craving anything but greens. But even these luster lacking meals became tolerable by day four or five. And on my last day the “barbecue ribs” made of crushed nuts had me almost fooled.

On Thursday, I had the dreaded colonic. It was conducted by a small woman with a German accent who had to be in her 80s. She was full of energy and more passionate about colonics than I have ever been about anything in my entire life. She talked me through every step of the procedure to allay my anxiety as if I were a 15 year old virgin boy visiting a lady of the night. She presented the implement and I quivered in a flash of panic. In my mind I thought that my initiation into this kind of thing wouldn’t occur until I was 40+ visiting the proctologist for my first examination. But I put on my big boy pants and let this Dr. Ruth of colonics work her magic. She called my cleanse a “5-star” and at one point as we watch the impacted materials and fluid run through the tube she said, “Look at this train from Philadelphia!” I do feel a ton better after the procedure but if given the option again, I think I’ll choose an extra massage.

I definitely took a great deal away from the experience. The people there have some amazing and empowering stories. Some have come for the first time with hopes, like Kristine, of curing a disease or ailment outside of the limits of conventional medicine. Others are repeat visitors coming to share their success stories and embrace a lifestyle they are convinced contributed to more than just their wellbeing.

There are some truths that all of us should consider and embrace in our eating habits if we care at all about living our lives to the fullest. I don’t know that I am fully convinced that raw is the way to go. But I will say junk food is dragging us down and we all eat way too much animal product (meat and dairy) and not enough plant based food. I myself am going to make a concerted effort to embrace this raw vegan lifestyle with Kristine although I think that reality will cause me to be more of a flexitarian (one who is vegetarian but makes occasional exceptions for social and pragmatic reasons).

Ryan

5 comments:

  1. I want to thank-you from the bottom of my heart for all of your support. If I have learned aything this last week, it is once again how lucky I am to have you. Your the most amazing person. I wonder if the tables were turned if I would be jumping on the raw band wagon. I don't think I could do this without you. I love you and miss you. This experience isn't the same without you here. I am looking forward to getting home to you and Ruffus. Love,
    Kristine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristine & Ryan you two are amazing. I commend you both. Your ability to communicate, love and laugh through all of this is making an obvious strong bond that much stronger. Cheers to you both. What a year it's been.

    By the way...Happy Valentines Day...what a great "couple gift" colonics! Gee I might have to surprise Mike with one! Poo Poo soup be gone!

    Much love to you both,

    Beth & Mike Mason

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ryan,

    My name is Ann and I am an old friend of Kristines. We went to school together from 6th grade through high school. When I heard of her unfortunate diagnosis, I was shocked to say the least. I felt like someone kicked me in the gut and felt immense guilt wash over me. I knew that I had to reach her and as a result found your blog.

    What a gift that you have given to all of the people that care about Kristine! You have a beautiful ability to write and your words simply flow with rich and vivid detail. It is obviuos that the two of you have a special and deep love and it is easy to see that you are a good man.

    The memories that have flooded my mind since reconnecting with Kristine have been enjoyable and truly filled with laugh out loud moments.

    Kristine was always the friend that we could count on! The one that would be willing to stick up for the little guy! The one that set an example by working hard! The creative, caring, and thoughtful friend that never let anyone down! I learned a great deal from Kristine growing up together (ok...maybe I didn't realize it then, but I do now!)So, I would like to thank you for giving me the opportunity to learn from her once again.

    You are both such courageous, caring, and loving people. Although I don't know you, it seems apparent that the two of you truly belong together to experience this tumultuous time in life as a couple.

    I pray for both of you every single day and have faith that this soulful journey will continue and keep both of you safely together.

    With sincere thanks and graditude for taking care of my dear friend!

    Warmly,
    Ann Riffel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I have so many thoughts running through my head. Ryan is turning the blog into an X rated site :) I am really happy you can see yourself working this into your lifestyle Ryan. There is a lot of food I never eat anymore since I stopped being vegan. I think its awesome that the two of you had the opportunity to have a lovely retreat together after such a tumultuous year. I read Ann's touching comments. I have only known Kristine as a cancer patient. I never knew healthy Kristine. That is something I never thought about. And since I have cancer too it never bothered me....I mean I didn't lose healthy Kristine. Powerful though...now I feel like I may meet healthy cancer free Kristine soon. All my love Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok the 2 of you should consider writing a column or a book or something. I laugh when I read your stories and Ry's description of Hippo should be on the website. I wanted to run out and sign up. The train from Philly- Im mena come on eyou can't make that stuff up!
    Oh how far you have both have come. I thought I could wirte this with Hannah on my lap but she seem to have just spit up all over me and my pants are soaked so I guess she is laughing too!

    It's one year ago this week we were in Aspen and I just want you both to know that I love you and miss you and valentines will always forever be the day that I love and cherish Kristine! So Happy Heart Day to my beloved sister who's heart is healthy and full of love and of course now wheatgrass.

    Can't wait to see you soon and PS I don't ever want to go back to Aspen again not mentally, physically or spiritually-from now on we move forward to fresh new exciting places.

    ALl my love
    Cris and Hannah Bell

    ReplyDelete