Saturday, October 18, 2008

Edemame

Kristine is doing OK as of today. She finally was able to get sleep after a long night of restlessness. She also got some solid food in her system (edemame, miso soup, steamed veggies and a piece or two of California roll). It wasn't raw but she has suspended the diet until she can get her strength up and get better.

She had physical therapy today. They were able to get her to sit up on the side of the bed, stretch her legs, arms and neck, and begin to balance herself. There is still no progress in the movement of her left side. However, the neurological team said she has muscle tone in her left limbs and were encouraged by some brief flexing they had seen in her leg and arm.

Kristine is still dealing with a lot of resentment toward and anger at her situation and the prospect of being paralyzed. This will hopefully change with time and as she gets stronger.

Not much new to report but thought I would provide a quick update.

9 comments:

  1. Good Morning Ryan, Continued thoughts and prayers coming to you and Kristine. Great to hear she was able to eat a bit ! Thanks so much for the brief update, it means a lot. You are her pillar of strength right now and I know how draining it can be. She is so fortunate to have you by her side. Carry our love to her. Kristine our support is neverending. Speedy recovery !!
    Happier Trails, Bill & Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ryan, Thank you for the update......it helps to hear how she is doing. Please send my love to her. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ryan,
    I am soo happy to hear she is eatting, even if just a little bit.
    Baby steps...and i hope every day is just a little better than the previous. She has a lot of love and support and good wishes her way.
    Please send my love as well to her.
    Debbie (Philly Mag)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryan, Thanks for the update. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. Please give Kristine an extra hug from me.
    Love, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the update. Jas and I are checking the blog like crazy to see what's going on. We are praying for a miracle with the paralysis. Hang in there.
    Give love to Kristine's parents too...
    Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ryan, We are reading your blog daily and are encouraged to hear that Kristine is sitting up and eating. She is a lucky lady to have you by her side. We think of Kristine constantly and send you both our prayers from Livonia, NY.
    Mike and Chris Weaver

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking about you both constantly with so much love! I remember how scared I was with the loss of motor control on my left side when my back first went out. I remember walking like Frankenstein and falling flat when trying on heels because I couldn't feel my left ankle. I'm living proof that nerves reconnect and physical therapy works! I know my girl will be walking and shopping again VERY soon. Love you Stine and Ryan, and hugs to the whole family. Ali

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even a brief update is good to hear, and it's great to know they've started therapy already. Will continue to send good thoughts, love and prayers...
    Wishing you lots of strength and some much needed rest!
    Much love,
    Kira

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ryan-
    Your blogs inspire me. Kristine is so lucky to have you in her life.
    You and Kristine remain in my thoughts and prayers.
    I know her strong will and spirit will help guide you both through this latest challenge.
    On a lighter note, hopefully she will get a Doctor that looks like McDreamy or even McSteamy...
    I lucked out once...it helps. ha.
    Take care,
    Hank
    Colette's friend

    ReplyDelete