Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Sister's Visit

Hi there.

My name is Gretchen and I am one of Kristine's sisters. I just wanted to fill in a few blanks for all of Kristine's friends and family who have been patiently and not so patiently waiting for her next blog. I totally understand the frustration that you all have been experiencing since I too have been waiting for an update.

Before I begin, I would like to take this opportunity to thank each and everyone of you for all of the support you have given my sister over the many months that she has been enduring this constant roller coaster. I can't begin to express how much the love and support has meant, not only to Kristine, but to her family as well.

I met with Kristine last night at the Miami Airport. YES, SHE IS FINALLY HOME!!!! Even before her friend, Jane, had to leave Ecuador, Kristine realized that staying on her own was not a feasible option. The Oleander juice that she had been drinking on and off during her stay, had many of the same side effects that chemo had on her. It made her very weak and unable to do many things on her own, which made staying there unaccompanied very difficult. In addition to being weak, she is emotionally raw, crying at the slightest emotional encounter. This too is another symptom of the treatment she has been receiving. She has lost some motor skills in her left arm and leg. It is very difficult for her to maneuver herself in and out of a vehicle, up the stairs as well type her daily/weekly blog among other things. Hopefully, Ryan will be giving us some updates when he is able.

To say the least, my 2 hour visit with Kristine was not nearly long enough. It was very difficult for me to watch her walk away, not knowing when I would be seeing her next. Living far apart has been difficult for our whole family. We all wish that we lived much closer so that we could support not only Kristine and Ryan, but each other.

While she is still very weak, please remember that she is still the same strong-willed firecracker that will not ask for help even when she needs it the most. At this point in time, Kristine is in need of the same positive love and support you all have been delivering these past many months.

Thank you again.

g

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update Gretchen... Kristine, I hope you feel the positive energy being sent to you from the north country! Keep taking care of you! And to coin a phrase from you, "Blah Blah Blah". :-) Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gretchen, for the update. I am soooo happy that Kristine in home. I am sending prayers and positive energy to her and to all her family - May God bless you all. Deb W

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gretch, like I said beautifully written...Kristine, I know it is difficult right now, but I also know your strength and determination. I know you are exhausted and need your rest, so I will wait to call. I am sure you are getting settled into being at home today. Find comfort in being home and knowing we are sending you warm thoughts and lots of love. I love you. Colette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there girl lot's of coronado Love is being sent your way!

    We love you and we are glad you are home!

    Ryan - take care of Kristine and yourself!

    barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love you so much Kristine! Glad you are home with Ryan and Ruffus. Thinking about you every second! Love, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love and thoughts sent to both of you from Cape Cod.
    We all think of you daily! Hang in there and be positive.
    Love the Johnstons

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome Home Kristine!
    Sending big love & extra prayers from Dexter.
    JMB

    ReplyDelete
  8. sending lots of prayers down lombard st...we're just a few blocks away if you need us. love you. jeanna, rusty and christopher XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristine--
    Glad you are safe and sound with the comforts of home. Much love to you and your family.
    Kira

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kristine. I am happy to hear that you are home and had a chance to visit with Gretchen. (Gretchen, all of us appreciate your update!) I bumped into Rachel Sawley at the rink the other day, and she thinks of you often. I also see Trish Farner quite a bit....we live in the same little hick town, which I love and she.....well, she doesn't like it here so much. She also thinks of you often and we always enjoy a laugh or two from the good old days! Like everyone else that cares about you, I can't seem to get you off of my mind. I know that there really isn't anything that I can do other than to tell you that I would do anything to make all of this go away for you. You are a fighter and I know that you will dig deep and continue to rise to the occassion. I love you and hope that you keep the faith! Ann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey girlfriend- keep studying up on your britney spears, dream up some chorepgraphy, because we are so hitting yakatori boy when you are up to it!! Even the police won't be able to stop us this time.... Hee hee hee! Feel better soon! Welcome home babe!! Xoxo, Simone

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kristine, Please take this from someone who loves you very much. I know you want to try everything that is out there to stop this bad omen,but you have to also use all of the things that are there for you that have worked for others. Chemo changes weekly and side affects do to.Please at least talk to the doctors and then see what is best for you.I think of you every day and miss seeing that beautiful smile, so get well and come to visit ASAP. Love , 2nd Dad

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kristine,
    Just letting you know that I am thinking of you and glad you are home.

    Jennifer Langan

    ReplyDelete