Thursday, October 16, 2008

2 Days That Felt Like an Eternity

The events of last 2 days have been far and away the most difficult that Kristine and I have faced in our entire lives. I’ve not slept at all in over 41 hours so bear with me if my post loses some focus.

After leaving Dr. Staddon’s office on Wednesday evening we were frightened by the diagnosis of brain lesions, but also hopeful that the steroids would temporarily suppress the pressure on Kristine’s brain until we could fully evaluate the options. Kristine struggled to climb the stairs that evening to reach our 3rd floor bedroom. The left leg that she had just hours before lifted almost a foot off the ground now required my assistance to reach the next step.

We went to bed that night but never fell asleep, both of us admitting our fear of missing what could be a final moment together. Kristine struggled to get comfortable and became frustrated by her limited movement. There was a rhythm throughout the night of scared silence and calming conversation. At around 2 in the morning Kristine said that she could no longer move her arm or her leg. Twice I had to literally carry her to and from the bathroom and hold her steady on the toilet. The most heart wrenching moment for me came when Kristine said, “we should be prepared that this could go quickly,” meaning that the situation could be the beginning of a quick and final decline to the end of her life. At 4am as I rotated Kristine’s limp but rigid left arm in circles to maintain its circulation, I decided that this had gone on too long and call an ambulance.

In the ER Kristine’s situation worsened still despite receiving a higher dosage of steroid. Her left limbs began to lose feeling, the left side of her face began to droop and her head throbbed in pain from increased cranial pressure to the point where she would scream out clenching and shaking her right hand. From this point forward the entire day was a roller coaster. The neurosurgical team viewed Kristine’s scans from the previous day. They determined that it was critical to operate within the next two days to remove the tumor on her brain. Within days quickly turned to within hours as they became more concerned over the worsening of her symptoms.

Kristine headed for scans and to the operating table by 11 am. At the time we both agreed that the surgery was worth the limited risk – a less than 5% chance of any complications like permanent paralysis or infection. But shortly after Kristine had been sedated and begun preoperative preparations, Dr. Lee, our Neurosurgeon, spoke with me about their findings from the latest scan. A blood vessel had burst sometime after the previous day’s scan around the tumor. This caused the tumor to expand, blood to fill up around the brain and explained why Kristine’s symptoms had worsened over such a short period of time. Dr. Lee retracted the previous prognosis for a much more disconcerting one. He now said that, “the probability of Kristine regaining full use of her left side was now zero.” There was no other choice though but to continue with the surgery. The alternative, according to the surgeon, was that Kristine would fall into a comma and eventually die.

I was truly pained by this decision, but there is no doubt it was the right one. Kristine is doing great after the surgery. In fact, she has already tried to pull out her intubating tubes (I even warned them about this one from the last surgery) and resorted to calling the nurses, “stingy water bitches” because they will not give her more than ice chips. Nonetheless I am terrified of having to break the news of this increased risk and of her having to cope with paralysis (after all, Kristine does not do well with limitations). Dr. Lee did sound more optimistic after the operation, recognizing that she is young and could regain more movement in her arm and face with only a limited amount of impaired movement in her leg.

Hey, if there is one person I know stubborn enough NOT to give into even paralysis, it’s Kristine.

21 comments:

  1. Kristine. We love you and are here if you need anything. Neil and Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan, Our thoughts and prayers have been with Kristine and you through these agonizing months and months. We feel so mentally involed with each new developement, that there is no better word than roller coaster. When I first met Kristine , I was so impressed by her drive and determination. During the 2 years I worked with her, she never waivered in her plans of attack to accomplish a goal. It is so gut wrenching to hear of a setback, but I know in my heart that there must be a turn in the road that gives her a positive direction and a chance to move forward. There is something about Kristine that is so infectious that you just can't help but to love her to pieces. My heart is very very heavy for you Kristine, but I know you will rise above this adversity and be back on a path to wellness. When I read your Blog it is so overwhelming to read and feel the love that surrounds you from your friends and family. I want you to know our hearts and souls are sending the best vibes we can generate. Get well Missy, I can hear you're in good hands. What a man you have in Ryan !! Be strong , have faith and kick ass. Speedy recovery Kristine...Big Love !!!!!!
    Happy trails, Bill & Vicki...XXXO
    Sorry this got a little long......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you both! Ugh, those nurses were stingy with the water for me in the hospital too!! A woman should be able to get a drink around here when she needs it! I know you love your water! xoxo, Simone

    ReplyDelete
  4. i hope you are all getting a little sleep. we continue to pray for a fast recovery...love you. jeanna, rusty and christopher XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ryan and Kristine, if there is anything, (and I mean anything no matter how minuscule) I can do to help. in any way please call or e-mail me. I will be there in a flash. I moved to Fitchburg mass. and am able and ready to come, my suitcase is packed. SERIOUSLY! do not hessitate to notify me.
    My prayers are with you both. I really want to come!!!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristine and Ryan: This all came as shocking news to me yesterday. I'm lost for words (and you know me, that's near impossible). All I can say is the thoughts and prayers of countless people are with you to BEAT this! I'm RIGHT next door, so if you need me do not hesitate. I love you guys. — Steve P.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending love & prayers from Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Becker,
    Fight and keep fighting. Be strong and let all of us do the crying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Kristine & Ryan,
    Your strength continues to inspire. Ryan, thanks for finding the words to explain all that has happened. Kristine, you are soooo very special. I'll be sending love and prayers until you are home resting comfortably with as much ice as your heart desires : )

    Much love,
    Kira

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my god, you two have been through it all. Ryan you are a true angel. Love you both. Prayers are coming your way.
    Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sending you many prayers and positive thoughts.

    Jennifer L.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kristine and Ryan - Whatever you need - I am here for you. Stay strong, get your sleep - we may have lost the battle but we haven't lost the war! love - j.j.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kristine and Ryan - Whatever you need - I am here for you. Stay strong, get your sleep - we may have lost the battle but we haven't lost the war! love - j.j.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ryan,Kristine,Connie and Jimmie-Uncle Roger and I send all our love to you. Ryan, thanks for the blog, it sets our minds at easeto hear some positive news--the fight is still on by our litttle fighter.
    All we can do from here in MI is pray for all of you--even Uncle Roger is praying from his own hospital bed--maybe he can send good vibes though the IV waves! We love you guys and are hoping for the best that things can be.
    Love, Aunt Elaine and Uncle Roger

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kristine and Ryan:

    Our thoughts and hopes are with you both now and to infinity. Much love to you both.

    Dana Monson and Danny M.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kristine, I still find it hard to believe what you're going through, and even harder to find adequate words. When I think of you, I still see you doing the splits and jumps upon request! You are so beautiful. Your smile and laughter is contagious. Your tenacity and drive is unmatchable. Remember we're all rooting for you to get back up! God gave you a gift in Ryan. He also gave me a gift in you,
    Missi

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH, and don't give in as since we reconnected in August, I've been expecting the call whereby you tell me when you're coming for a visit in Idaho. And I can't wait till that happens. D.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Ryan,
    My name's Rachel. I am a recent pen-pal of Kristine's.
    I found her blog on a Google search I was doing about treating leiomyosarcoma with a raw food diet. I have the same cancer. Kristine and I have e-mailed a few times and planned to meet up when she was back in Philly. You are both in my prayers. Please tell Kristine I am thinking of her. It seems she is in good hands.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aunt Teen, We wait here praying that time only leads to the best of news. You are in your two favorite nephews' prayers.
    Love, Lumox and Brandamores

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kristine & Ryan,

    You are in our every thought and prayers.

    Love, Jill & Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  21. My thoughts and prayers are will you both.

    Jen Galinski Kildee

    ReplyDelete