Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Roadblock to Recovery

This is Ryan and I'll start by saying that I'm taking back control of the blog, at least for the short term. This is in light of some recent events that I feel require me to debunk myths about Kristine's search for alternative treatments and to address some unexpected turns in her story.

Kristine has been experiencing some loss of motor control in her left leg and arm. Just prior to leaving for Ecuador she noted several occasions where something wasn't quite right. There was one moment where it was difficult to slip on her flip flop and a few others where she had lost her balance and walked into a door frame. She refused to give into what she categorized as a passing impairment of her equilibrium. Her motor skills worsened while in Ecuador. Her ability to walk and lift her left arm increasingly deteriorated. While some of the treatments she was receiving weakened her energy, it was another unexpected and unrelated culprit at work disabling her mobility.

As most of you know by now Kristine is home from South America. She arrived in Philadelphia at around midnight on Tuesday. She was the last to exit the terminal pushed in a wheelchair by an airport worker. She immediately broke into tears upon seeing me, a combination of emotions pouring out. After a long night of talking about the situation, Kristine and I agreed that it was best to see Dr. Staddon as soon as possible. This was a difficult decision for Kristine to make given her reluctance and fear of the solutions that Western medicine are likely to prescribe.

We saw Dr. Staddon at 1 in the afternoon. He performed some routine reflex tests on Kristine's left leg and arm. At that point it was not surprising that both limbs reacted abnormally. The doctor ordered an emergency MRI and CT scan of Kristine's head and neck. It was no sooner that both scans were complete that the Oncology office called us back to discuss the results. Although we could easily predict the outcome it was nonetheless unnerving.

The cancer that started in Kristine's heart and veins and later spread to her lungs, has now metastasized in her brain. There are two lesions (tumors in this case), one about 3.5cm on her right frontal lobe (behind the forehead) and another much smaller one on the right side of her cerebellum (the rearmost part of the brain near the base of the skull). These lesions have caused edema (or swelling) in her brain, which has in turn caused the loss of Kristine's voluntary muscular movement on the left side of her body (you might remember that each hemisphere of the brain controls the opposite side of the body). Additionally, the tumors have caused emotional depression, contributing to Kristine's stress and discomfort while in Ecuador and now at home. It is presumed that these tumors are from the original Sarcoma, the cells from which have traveled through the bloodstream to the brain. It is not thought to be from a new, brain specific form of cancer. This will be an important distinction when we later discuss treatment options.

Kristine is doing as good as can be expected. She is currently on Decadron, a steroid used to reduce inflammation. The drug is expected to eliminate her symptoms for the short term in the next few days while we consider treatment options. We are just trying to keep things light and positive. I will save the details of the potential treatment options for a later post (hopefully within the next day or two). We have an appointment with a Neurosurgeon on Monday morning to discuss his advice.

Ryan

8 comments:

  1. I may not know either of you, but I've been following your blog, and I'm so saddened to hear of this scary turn of events. You are both in my thoughts and prayers. I hope some good news is in your near future, keep staying positive.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristine,
    Glad you are home. I've been following your journey to Equador. So sad to hear you've encountered yet another roadblock. We just battled hurricane Omar last night and I thought of you while the wind and rain rattled our shutters. You continue to inspire me as I go through some tough times. I hope you know how amazing you are. Thankfully Omar lost. Hope the week ahead of you is a better one. Prayers and positive vibes you way. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

    - Your friends at Chase

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristine and Ryan, I am so saddened to heat about the latest turn of events. Remember I am here and would like to help in anyway I can. So while I know Kristine has a hard time asking for help PLEASE ask me to do something, anything. I think you know how many people who love you want to help and feel so useless as you go through this journey. In the meantime, just know I am thinking of and praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you baby! Keep up your strength and keep fighting!!! I'm sure the steroids will get the edema under control and you'll feel back to normal (ish) soon. I'm thinking healing thoughts and sending a huge warm hug from sunny San Francisco!!
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking about you and your amazing spirit!! You have been so strong through all of this, always maintaining your sunshine and joy for life. Sending lots of love and prayers your way.
    Much love,
    Kira

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Ryan,
    Thank you for the update that I know had to have been more than difficult to sit down and write! I am praying for both of you as you work through the next few weeks making decisions. Kristine is filled with such spirit and prides herself on that characteristic.....as she very well should, not enough people in our world today possess such goodness. Please give Kristine a big, but gentle hug from Ann Riffel and tell her as her captain I said, "Kick some ass!" I love her and I am cheering for her all the way!!!! Warmly, Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ryan and Kristine, words cannot express my feelings as I read the past few blogs. We have supported every decision you have made and will continue to do so. Please know that many people here in Saginaw love, support and believe in you and pray for you every day. If you need any help whatsoever, please call me and I will come out. Take things one day at a time and continue to pray to God to heal you-it can happen!! Love, Jodi and Pat

    ReplyDelete